• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

3ccd still a good option?

Reaction score
Hi, i got a sony hc40 wich is about to die and im ready to get a new camera, i do mostly funny videos to show my friends, but im really into gadgets and i like having the newest things even when i dont need them (i know im wrong but i cant help it), at the moment i edit my videos with a 17' 1.67 powerbook with 2 gigs of ram and a 17' core duo imac with also 2 gigs of ram.

The thing is, should I get a 3ccd camera (im thinking panasonic PV GS320) or go with an HD camera like the hv20 or sony hc7? Im planing on buying a MacPro in the next couple of months, but i dont think im going to be doing any HD soon, but it would be nice to be a little future-proof, what do you guys think?
Are the hv20 and hc7 as good as the GS320 when recording in SD?
Money is not a problem .

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
I would think getting a 3CCD camera would still be a fine choice. I'd consider waiting a little while if you decide you want to go the HDV route, since some new technology may be released in the next year that will drive the prices of those down further.

I would also recommend a Canon GL2 or a Sony VX2100. The GL2 is a amazing fixed-lense 3CCD camera and you can find them in the $1,500 range if you know where to look...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core2Duo, 2.33Ghz, 2GB Ram, 15.4"
There's an amazing difference with 3CCD. Especially good if you want to do bluescreen/greenscreen effects or colour grading in your footage! :-D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I wouldn't get anything but 3ccd camera, either 3ccd hd, or 3ccd sd, it should be 3ccd.

Reaction score
Heres a comparison between 3-CCD and 1-CCD.

1-CCD:
1CCD-geese.jpg

3-CCD:
3CCD-geese.jpg

I found these photos and a full comparison here: http://www.jakeludington.com/project_studio/20040329_1ccd_vs_3ccd_dv_cam_shootout.html

I use a Panasonic GS-500. For the money it is a great camera. When I bought it, I knew that HD would cost me $200 to $300 more, but I also had no HD TVs at the time, and no export method, (You could get a $600 Blue Ray Burner...lol). So 3-CCD is the way to go....

OP
ehoms
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies, one more thing....how good are the hv20 and hc7 when shooting SD compared to the panasonic gs320?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.