Other on logon window

F

futerfas

I keep seeing an "other" option at the logon window. What is it there for, and how can I get rid of it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
futerfas said:
I keep seeing an "other" option at the logon window. What is it there for, and how can I get rid of it?
That is the root user! How can it be there if you didn't intentionally enable root user? That user has absolute control over the system so never log on line as root (other)

OP
F

futerfas

I did enable the root user so i could do some sudo things in the terminal, i just didn't know why its there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Okay.. then if you need or want to run commands in the terminal without being prompted for Admin password, log in as root, but never on line ;)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
In the system preferences, i believe under the login option. You can turn on or off the other login window.

Reaction score
You can also use it to log on as >console. Usefull for running without the GUI or for xwindows (not Apple's).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Very powerful, root can execute changes with absolute permissions, so be careful! A tip: in Mandrake if you are on as root the display is bright red and there are warnings a good idea Since it's not so in Mac, I made my dock a different size and no magnify so I remember that I am on as root :) :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
to disable root user:
applications/utilities/netinfo manager/security menu/disable root user
try to avoid logging on as root user unless its nessesary. if you are not experienced you may damage your system big deal!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.