• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

probably a stupid question about avi files..

Reaction score
so i have VLC.. and i have been downloading some torrents lately.. but they won't allow me to view any torrent i download.. and they are all avi format.. VLC won't work.. DivX won't work.. and of course not quicktime.. any helpful hints?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
1. Do you trust the source of your torrents?

2. Do you have the divx codec installed?

3. You might also install 3ivx, and Perian codecs to the /Library/Quicktime folder.

If you already have all the codecs installed, and have successfully watched other avi files, then I would seriously look at number one again.

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
btw this forum doesnt encourage illegal activities

i know the torrents and files u r downloading may be free to use etc...
just letting ya know.

OP
M
Reaction score
woah okay.. codecs and things are getting me confused.. i'm fairly retarded. but maybe i'll try that 3ivx?

Reaction score
VLC should play .avi files no problem, u sure uve properly extracted the files from the torrent, and that your not tryin to play the torrent file itself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
yh VLC is good at playing a lot of things.

as 'kakerumbler' said - make sure you extract any files properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core2Duo, 2.33Ghz, 2GB Ram, 15.4"
Yeah true make sure you're not playing a file that ends in something like .r00 too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
Also give DivX Doctor II a try. It's available for download on 3ivx's site. Helps me out all the time since I prefer using Quicktime over VLC. You have to have 3ivx installed though for it to work properly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.