• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

My bold apple predictions

Reaction score
I just wanted to throw out a few apple predictions for the rest of the year, just for the fun of it. We'll see how I do:)

Macbook Pros:
New specs and LED screens at WWDC

iMacs:
August with led TOUCHSCREENS

iPods:
In late Sept. early Oct. video iPod goes up to 100g and has a widescreen touchscreen. Nano's go up to 16gig, 8gig, and 4gig (possible limited video support). Shuffles go up to 2 gig, but 1gig sticks around too.

Macbooks:
Switch to LED's, minor speed bump in the fall in time for X-mas

My wild shot in the dark
Tablet Mac:
WWDC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
I'll have to strongly disagree on the iMac and the tablet.
I definitely agree with the MBP, probably the Macbook as well.

Reaction score
What i'm looking forward to hearing is whether the next MacBook Pro hardware revision will include the move away from the now AMD owned ATI GPU's, and to the new nVidia 8000m series.

It would make some logistical since, Apple is in cohorts with Intel, and nVidia is already in the iMac's.

Reaction score
I think Apple will be happy enough to just release OS X 10.5 and iPhone on time. I doubt they workign on anything else that's market-ready right now....

Reaction score
I think Apple will be happy enough to just release OS X 10.5 and iPhone on time. I doubt they workign on anything else that's market-ready right now....

It would be a push to do so, but if they did it could kick the "Buy a Mac" train into high gear. Back to school is just a few short months away, and the holidays just a few months after that. If Apple could roll out a major laptop hardware revision before then, they could continue to eat into the recently upgraded PC crowd, not to mention turn and make some profit off of single sale Leopard in October (Thank God OS X is cheaper than Vista ;D ).

Plus be ready to say "Hey, like your shiny iPhone? You can get the same genius on your computer" to everyone going hogwild on that dream device in June.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
There's a difference between marketing what you have and putting together a new product, Nicholi. If they continue their very good marketing on the products they have coming out already this year, and on their current products, they'll be doing just as well as always.

But Yogi is right...they'll likely not have anything too tricky coming out this year aside from the iPhone and Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16ghz, 2GB RAM, 160gb HDD
LED screens? would anyone like to expand on that? :)

Reaction score
As much as I believe in Apple's marketing machine (cause its good...), I don't think it can be the only driving force. Apple has a history of putting solid hardware into all there machines, it would be a shame to see them fall from that.

I was upset enough over the Leopard delay over iPhone, that was a hook, line and sinker for me purchasing my first Mac in June, but i've been forced to have second thoughts.

The main goal at Apple is still to drive people away from other companies, specifically Microsoft as they are the biggest threat. Vista doesn't need much competition to drive people away from it, but the hardware revision would be the most sensible approach as want-to-be switchers are forced to buy new hardware to escape the Windows world.

Atop of that, when was the last MacBook Pro update? The move to Intel chips? I'm not quite sure, can someone inform me?

EDIT to Laimonas.s :: LED Backlit screens, using LED lights to backlight the screens. Allowing brighter, more power efficient screens. The backlight on the screen is one of the biggest battery hogs in laptops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I'm really hoping they'll release an ultra-portable. The MacBook is nice (had one last year), but it's still too big and heavy to really carry everywhere with me. I'm not a big fan of tablets, either. If there isn't an ultra-portable, then I will look into the Santa Rosa MBP upgrades. Here's hoping! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I just wanted to throw out a few apple predictions for the rest of the year, just for the fun of it. We'll see how I do:)

Macbook Pros:
New specs and LED screens at WWDC

iMacs:
August with led TOUCHSCREENS

I don't understand why everyone is saying touchscreens. I can see it on the iPod, but not on the iMac or Apple Cinema Displays. What exactly would you use a touchscreen for on something that isn't portable? Your arms would get super tired after a short time of manipulating touchscreen controls on a large display like the iMac has. I could possibly see them teaming with Wacom to integrate pen input into their screens, but the Cintiq line of monitors that Wacom currently sells are hideously expensive (try $2500 for a 21" LCD vs. $300 for a non-pen-input screen from Dell). Aside from that, what else would you use it for? You need fingers to type words to surf the Internet; using a keyboard is a zillion times faster than banging your fingers against a flat, zero-tactile screen. Plus you'd have to have the screen down near your arms instead of at eye level. And it would get dirty. I can see it being nifty for showing off or maybe organizing photos, but maybe I'm just missing the point. Anyone care to expand upon possible day-to-day uses of a touchscreen iMac?

btw, I'll venture a guess that the Cinema Displays will get a built-in camera like the iMacs and MacBook/Pro laptops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
my bold apple prediction! itoilet! touchbowl/no cleaning needed!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
There won't be any touchscreen iMacs. A touchscreen iMac would be as practical as a table made of bread. Everything kaidomac says is true, it would be next to useless and horrendously expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MMMM...breadtable...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
I do not believe that the LED screens will come out this year. And it makes it reasonable to expect a full hardware upgrade for the MBP for next year. processors..memory capacity...LED screens...and so on. I do not believe they would upgrade MBP's processor yet this year, and such things like screen next year.

For the touchscreen iMacs...that's nonsense for me. completely agree with kaidomac.

just my 2 cents...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
There's a difference between marketing what you have and putting together a new product, Nicholi. If they continue their very good marketing on the products they have coming out already this year, and on their current products, they'll be doing just as well as always.

But Yogi is right...they'll likely not have anything too tricky coming out this year aside from the iPhone and Leopard.

there is no way apple is skipping santa rosa, itll be out in 6 months tops, probably before shopping season.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Atop of that, when was the last MacBook Pro update? The move to Intel chips? I'm not quite sure, can someone inform me?

The last update was not when Intel was announced, but rather a couple of months ago. In late October/early November, Apple updated most of its line with the Core2Duo processors. It was really after this point when all the major problems of the initial batch had been solved that Apple's computer sales shot through the roof (though I'm sure the holiday season helped a bit ;P)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Never said that apple was skipping santa rosa...but a processor update really doesn't equate to something Tricky coming out this year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I do not believe that the LED screens will come out this year. And it makes it reasonable to expect a full hardware upgrade for the MBP for next year. processors..memory capacity...LED screens...and so on. I do not believe they would upgrade MBP's processor yet this year, and such things like screen next year.

For the touchscreen iMacs...that's nonsense for me. completely agree with kaidomac.

just my 2 cents...

Apple said the the following:

"We plan to introduce our first Macs with LED backlight technology in 2007. Our ability to completely eliminate fluorescent lamps in all of our displays depends on how fast the LCD industry can transition to LED backlighting for larger displays. Apple plans to completely eliminate the use of arsenic in all of its displays by the end of 2008."

That tells us the following:

1. The first LED backlights will be introduced this year
2. Apple is planning to complete the LED transition across their product line by the end of 2008
3. Their holdup is that larger displays haven't been transitioned to LED backlighting yet, which says the smaller displays (i.e. laptops) will be the first to make the transition to LED backlighting

Visit this thread for more information:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61349

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
LOL. Looks like I've missed something here. thanks for the info btw.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.