"rpc.net" is eating up all my memory!

Reaction score
Hey guys. Long time listener, first time caller.

Just the other day I happened to notice my MB was running very slow. I looked at my istat nano on my dashboard and quickly saw that the process named "rpc.net" was using up 95 to 100% of my memory. I found it on my Activity Monitor but the "Quit" option was greyed out. Does this mean rpc.net is integral to my system? Does it have something to do with my browser? If it is something I don't want, how do I get rid of it? Or, how can I learn to live with it if I actually need it?

Thanks for the help guys. I'm quite worried for my precious MB!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Good morning FaultySchematic!

A lot of people who have had this kind of issue have a common piece of software installed known as LoJack for Laptops.

Do you happen to have this installed? Some people have said that uninstalling and reinstalling LoJack does the trick. Apparently from Computrace, the creator of Lojack:

We are aware of the situation with the 100% CPU usage. It happens mainly when our agent is unable to connect to our monitoring server. This is usually fixed temporarily by restarting the computer or by ending the RPCNET process in the activity monitor. Once the update has been release LoJack will automatically update to the newest version. My apologies for the inconvenience but we are expecting a release of the update by the end of January or the very early February.​

Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Forgot to mention, try updating your LoJack (if you even have it)!

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I do happen to have this program and I did end the process in the activity monitor. The fans have shut off and everything seems to be doing better. But I have another question now:

When I look at the memory usage, i only have around 22 MB of free memory. Is this high? I have iTunes, Firefox, Thunderbird and iChat open, but it's always at this level regardless of what apps (or lack thereof) are running. The graph makes the usage seem really high but I have no idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Faulty, how much RAM do you have in your machine?

OS X reports it's ram in four states I believe: Wired, Active, Inactive, and Free.

Just because there is little to no "Free" RAM doesn't mean that you do not have memory available. Once a program has finished using memory, it releases it into the "Inactive" area, ready for use by anything else. When I look at that little pie chart, I add both the "Free" and the "Inactive" sections to get my total amount of free memory. Chances are, when you first start using your machine, nearly all of your available memory is used and then whatever is "free" is simply dumped to inactive.

I assume that you have 512Mb of RAM and see 22MB as "Free" after running your system for a while. How much Inactive do you have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From reading that, I would say that you have...
__22Mb
+ 94Mb
= 116Mb of free memory :)

Of course you can run OS X fine with 512Mb of memory, but I can't tell you how much of a difference another 512Mb (or even better, another 1536Mb :D) would make. Most would be more than pleased.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I got my tax return today and I'm pretty sure I'll be working on getting more ram with it :).

This may be a stupid question, but more ram means faster opening and closing of apps and more apps able to be run simultaneously with less lag, am i right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.