A MacBook Deal, And A Switcher (Oppinions needed ASAP)

Reaction score
Young kid with a lot of hours logged in Windows here, looking to pick up laptop for college and i've managed to spot this deal at a local retailer :

Black MacBook (Last Generation)

2.0ghz Core 2 Duo
120gb HDD
1gb RAM
Intel 950GMA
etc.. etc...

$1199.99

Wondering if this is a good deal for a switcher to jump on, and how long the intel 950 chip will truly hold up with Apple wanting to go hog wild with Core Animation in Leopard.

I've been a PC technician for 2 years now, and i'm pretty up to date on hardware and value... the Mac's are always higher priced (not going to say over, I havnt owned one) to there PC comparisons, can anyone give me a nudge one way or another?

Last thing to keep in mind is my budget is $1500-2000, so any suggestions (Like waiting past WWDC) are welcome as well, the MacBook Pro's just barely grace my price range.

Reaction score
If your going to college you can get the Macbook pro for $1799 with the educational discount, if you want to spend that much. If you want to get a MBP I would wait until WWDC I think with the macbook speed boost last week that apple won't let the processor gap between them be that small for long. The deal on the macbook is good, but if ou want to do any high end video work, or 3-d graphics you'll want the video card inside the MBP.

OP
Nicholi
Reaction score
If your going to college you can get the Macbook pro for $1799 with the educational discount, if you want to spend that much. If you want to get a MBP I would wait until WWDC I think with the macbook speed boost last week that apple won't let the processor gap between them be that small for long. The deal on the macbook is good, but if ou want to do any high end video work, or 3-d graphics you'll want the video card inside the MBP.

Thats my thoughts. I highly doubt i'll do much, not even gaming or anything of that real ilk. The utmost would be whats already found in the iLife suite.

I'm just used to being on a PC, mostly my custom built gaming desktop... the extra power is so nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Hey, WELCOME to the Forums,

I am a recent Switcher myself. I have the Black MacBook, the only difference from above is 160GB HD and 2GB RAMS. I'd say go for it , its a great deal and since u seem to be knowledgeable with Computers in general, it won't be hard to install an extra stick of Ram later, IT DOESN"T VOID WARRANTY on the Macbooks .

Thats my 2 Cents

Reaction score
I have the low-end MBP and it is the best laptop I've ever had it is very fast, and if you have the money I think the higher end machine will be more "future proof". On the other hand the macbook is nice and portable, and a very fast machine in it's own rights. One more thing to look out for on the macbooks as opposed the the MBP is that the macbook with one gig of ram has 2 512's so if you upgrade u have to replace both sticks. The MBP has a single gig stick.

OP
Nicholi
Reaction score
Hmm...

The money's not going anywhere, and I've been wanting to really invest in a laptop for the long run, hopefully to get me all the way through college.

I'm waiting till past WWDC, the idea of a new MBP would be a big letdown here only 2 weeks away. In the meantime I think my mum needs a new one too, I'll talk her into buying this so I can play one it :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Sounds like a good idea... Sneaky ;D but good idea :D

But let me tell, u will fall in LOVE with the MACBOOK its just amazing thats all I have to say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
The MBP is probably going to be the way to go. I just don't like macbooks. Coming from PC's myself and mainly gaming ones, I don't like tiny screens and I hate integrated graphics.

OP
Nicholi
Reaction score
I was wanting a smaller laptop, somewhere from 13.3 to 15.4 at the most, though when I got looking at the 15.4" MacBook Pro its form factor is really sleek and actually looks smaller than the HP i'm on now. Not sure if this is due to widescreen or what, but its definitly nice.

Reaction score
The MBP has a nice sleek design, but in all honesty it's a bit heavy for a portable laptop. It's not a brick or anything, but you know it's there when your carrying it.

OP
Nicholi
Reaction score
5.8 isn't bad, i've been lugging around an 8lb mammoth for awhile now haha.

Plus it'll help me keep in shape! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.