Windows Printer Sharing Problems

Reaction score
I know this topic has been discussed in several threads here already, but having read up for over 2 hours and performing a vast number of google searches, I'm still coming up with a blank.

I have a Windows XP machine setup with my new HP Photosmart C4180 printer. Everything works great on the pc, and the print quality from the HP is even better than I expected.

The problem is trying to print to this from my MacBook. If I hook the printer up directly to the USB on my MacBook it is detected and installed as an HP Photosmart C4180 without any problems and the print quality is every bit as good as the XP output.

However, if I try to hook the MacBook up to the printer whilst it is shared from the pc, the story is very different. All the sharing is setup correctly at the pc end.

I have installed the HP drivers on the MacBook from the supplied disc, but they don't show in my list of selectable drivers when installing the network printer. If I choose HP New Deskjet Series CUPS v1.1 then I can print to the printer, but the output quality is way inferior to that when hooked directly to the mac, or printing directly from the pc. Not to be detered, I have installed gimp-print and Gutenprint, but these don't list my exact printer model. Again, if I choose HP Photosmart CUPS + Gimp Print 4.4.7 or HP Photosmart CUPS + Gutenprint v5.0.0 then again I can print, but the quality is very substandard.

Can anyone explain the best way for me to set this printer up on the share. I need the print quality to be as high as possible, but I don't want to have to have the printer connected to the MacBook full time.

This is the first time since getting my MacBook that I have been extremely frustrated with its performance. In the windows environment adding a networked printer is a doddle - this seems like a total minefield and almost impossible even with the manufacturers driver disc!!!

Any help truly appreciated.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
<deleted, redundant>

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I know this topic has been discussed in several threads here already, but having read up for over 2 hours and performing a vast number of google searches, I'm still coming up with a blank.

I have a Windows XP machine setup with my new HP Photosmart C4180 printer. Everything works great on the pc, and the print quality from the HP is even better than I expected.

The problem is trying to print to this from my MacBook. If I hook the printer up directly to the USB on my MacBook it is detected and installed as an HP Photosmart C4180 without any problems and the print quality is every bit as good as the XP output.

However, if I try to hook the MacBook up to the printer whilst it is shared from the pc, the story is very different. All the sharing is setup correctly at the pc end.

I have installed the HP drivers on the MacBook from the supplied disc, but they don't show in my list of selectable drivers when installing the network printer. If I choose HP New Deskjet Series CUPS v1.1 then I can print to the printer, but the output quality is way inferior to that when hooked directly to the mac, or printing directly from the pc. Not to be detered, I have installed gimp-print and Gutenprint, but these don't list my exact printer model. Again, if I choose HP Photosmart CUPS + Gimp Print 4.4.7 or HP Photosmart CUPS + Gutenprint v5.0.0 then again I can print, but the quality is very substandard.

Can anyone explain the best way for me to set this printer up on the share. I need the print quality to be as high as possible, but I don't want to have to have the printer connected to the MacBook full time.

This is the first time since getting my MacBook that I have been extremely frustrated with its performance. In the windows environment adding a networked printer is a doddle - this seems like a total minefield and almost impossible even with the manufacturers driver disc!!!

Any help truly appreciated.

Unfortunately, at this time, the only drivers that will work with this printer while attached via a network connection are the Gutenprint drivers. If you can't find one that works acceptably, your only recourse will be to go with the PrintFab drivers, assuming that printer is supported. The downside is that they are not free, costing around $60 US.

The inherent problem is that OS X doesn't handle port redirection, it leaves that task to the drivers. So, if the drivers haven't been designed to work on a network port, they won't be available via a network connection. It is EXTREMELY frustrating, I agree. But unless you buy a printer that has a built-in network connection, you're kind of stuck using alternative drivers.

The only other recourse would be to try Apple's AirPort Extreme, which comes with a USB connection for printers. Although I don't know this for certain, my guess is that Apple provides some sort of trick that will allow the OEM driver to work. If that's true, lets hope that they integrate some of that magic into Leopard. This is starting to stick out like a sore thumb as more and more home users adopt home networks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.