Is a Mac Mini suitable for my use?

Reaction score
I have a PC which I use for internet, email, the odd bit of word processing, as well as running indesign, photoshop and dreamweaver, as I do graphics work, although I don't overload the PC with massive graphic files all the time. I don't really use it play games, just football manager as I have an Xbox 360.

I have an old G3 Ibook and really love it, and love using Tiger OS. I was thinking of buying a desktop MAC to use and possibly end up replacing my PC. I was just wondering if you good people think a MAC Mini would be suitable for my usage, or should I go for a more expensive Imac? I already have a nice LCD monitor and a wireless keyboard & mouse.

It's just that looking at a MAC Mini compared to my monster PC tower gives the impression they're not comparable. The MAC Mini seems to have what I need, a DVD writer, a good size HD with the possibility of nice external addons, wireless, bluetooth, decent processor, (dunno how limited the graphics chip is though). Will I be able to happily run Ceative Suite CS3 without too many problems? I would like to max out the RAM to 2gig.

I'm sorry about the long post, but any help and advice will be most appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I wouldn't think you'd have a problem running your apps with a Mini. You already have the screen and peripherals so it seems like a logical choice.
I had a Macbook which had the integrated graphics chip but I didn't like it so much. I disliked the 13.3" screen more when I was doing my photo editing. It shouldn't be too big of an issue with 2GB RAM though. Maybe someone will have better imput.
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
I have a PC which I use for internet, email, the odd bit of word processing, as well as running indesign, photoshop and dreamweaver, as I do graphics work, although I don't overload the PC with massive graphic files all the time. I don't really use it play games, just football manager as I have an Xbox 360.

I have an old G3 Ibook and really love it, and love using Tiger OS. I was thinking of buying a desktop MAC to use and possibly end up replacing my PC. I was just wondering if you good people think a MAC Mini would be suitable for my usage, or should I go for a more expensive Imac? I already have a nice LCD monitor and a wireless keyboard & mouse.

It's just that looking at a MAC Mini compared to my monster PC tower gives the impression they're not comparable. The MAC Mini seems to have what I need, a DVD writer, a good size HD with the possibility of nice external addons, wireless, bluetooth, decent processor, (dunno how limited the graphics chip is though). Will I be able to happily run Ceative Suite CS3 without too many problems? I would like to max out the RAM to 2gig.

I'm sorry about the long post, but any help and advice will be most appreciated.

Better than a four word posts with two syllables in each. I highlighted what I am doing with my mini, and even though I've only got 1 GB of RAM, it's perfectly capable of what I'm doing with it. Although I wouldn't call it a good-sized hard drive. I added an external 320GB/7200rpm through the firewire port and run everything off that one instead the internal one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
The main thing is you want a nice and powerful CPU, its up to you if you think the mini is powerful enough

Space will be a real concern, you can get external drives if you want but if you want it all tucked away (Or you just want a lot of internal stroage, want to play with RAID) you'll be going for another PC tower

The intergrated graphics will be fine. If you'd like to use 3D applications or the new 3D features in the CS3 you'd need a dedicated graphics card

2GB is great!

you'll simply have more expansion options with a PC tower or a mac pro tower, if you don't see yourself moving into 3D, external drives being fine and have the need for only one monitor the mini should do you fine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
It's frustrating there's no obvious desktop machines for the average joe.

The iMac is all integrated, the Mini it's ok but you can't easily expand it.

I had to get a Mac Pro to satisfy my need for disk expansion, number of RAM sockets etc..

You could sell the PC and get a good iMac then dual boot into Windows with Boot Camp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i would think the mini is fine or if you can afford it get a basic imac

- imac - nice screen, keyboard, mouse, nice graphics cards (ish) and a generaly nice system

but for value for money get the mac mini if you are happy with your K,M,M.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1GB minimum RAM in Mac Mini. It is too sluggish with 512MB.

Also go for the superdrive model with a good CPU. People have upgraded the CPU but the cost is stupid.

Reaction score

I had to get a Mac Pro to satisfy my need for disk expansion, number of RAM sockets etc..

You could sell the PC and get a good iMac then dual boot into Windows with Boot Camp?

This is the biggest problem I see with Apple's lineup. I like expandability. I want to keep my options open. The iMac/mini or both a little too "closed box" (and I especially don't want an integrated monitor - I use a KVM switch and share the same monitor between multiple computers). Then the Mac Pro is a bit too much machine for me.

Honestly, what I really want Apple doesn't currently make: a good solid tower unit that has middle of the road specs. I'd honestly be fine with the mini in a tower case if it had a slot to upgrade the graphics (and honestly another ram slot wouldn't hurt ;)).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Indeed, not to mention almost all of the line up except the Mac Pro use laptop components to achieve the small form factor.

Of course the iMac's have desktop hard disks, but the CPU is still a laptop style chip.

Perfect middle of the road Mac would be:

Tower case, smaller than Mac Pro.
2 x SATA drive bays
1 x CD/DVD bay (populated by DVD writer)
2 x RAM slots
1 x Core 2 Duo E6600/E6700 (2.33 or 2.66Ghz), socketed.
3D card in a PCI express slot (dual DVI out).
1 spare PCI express slot.
2 x Firewire 400, 1 x Firewire 800.
2 x Front USB, 4 x Rear USB.
HD Audio.

Price this about 50% to 66% of a Mac Pro and you have a winner.

OP
W
Reaction score
Cheers for the help guys. The people that use an Imac 17", is it a good buy? Would it be worthwile stretching to the 20"? I think that the 24" is really a luxury and not really needed by myself? I currently run a res of 1280x1024, what is the 1440x900 widescreen like with the 17" models? Is it a good resolution for the likes of CS3 etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.

The thing is, the average joe doesn't care about expansion. He'll just buy a new one when it becomes too slow.

I think people misunderstand where the mini is in the computer market... Anyway, either model of the mini you choose will suit you fine (and I do all that stuff with only 512 mb RAM on my mini :))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
The intel mini is underestimated IMHO. It will be more than fine for your needs, and while 512mb ram will also be fine, I would recommend upgrading this to 1GB - you will notice a difference.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I love my Intel Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz. VERY fast and reliable. Only thing I would do is upgrade RAM to 1GB or more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.