website critique

OP
D

design2

gort said:
Perhaps before you start trying to sell your services to people you should be confident enough in your design where you don't have to use a web forum for inspiration.

Gort,

I have been doing a short course in web design for a few months
and am looking to improve all the time. The 'business' site is setup in our
course for when we leave, but even when i leave i will still use the forum for 'feedback' not inspiration.

My teacher at my college is only one point of view and so are the students at my college, it is always good to get a third point of view, and if that view is in the web industry it is guareenteed to help me develop my ideas.

Just curious have you got a web site or designs i could have alook at?
Oh by the way thanks Rob D.

Design2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
My apologies, I didn't read the whole thread. That's my fault I didn't know the purpose of your page. It just irks me when I see people with really no credentials trying to market themselves to people.

OP
D

design2

flash Q.

ok heres the scenario
i have created a movie on my main timeline
and within the movie i created a button and on(release)
i want my button to go to the nextframe and play the exit part of the movie,
fine right, but i have to put action script on the ending frame
something like if(FrameLoaded)gotoandplay("scene","namedframe");}
basically theres a way to get out of the movie and back into the scenes
its something like
_Root.directory.scene. ?
and i cant remember.

thanks
Design2

OP
R

RobDreugan

design2 said:

Why is this site in flash, and why is there no preloader?

i mean, unless there's some huge animation sequence that we're missing in the beginning what's the point of flash? Heh, You have all text and graphics and it took me 100% longer than it should have to load the page.

When people see a flash site, they expect something to happen, especially if they go thru the trouble of clicking to download it.

I don't like the navigation in an article list format.

OP
D

design2

sorry my fault
its going to be css/html
its just layout sorta, i got given no logo, or pics,
and just told a name and what links, crazy hey?

i just find flash quick to draw up an interface for layout instead of freehand or fireworks, or whateva u guys use..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Flash doesn't always have to be "flashy." www.deepblue.com is a perfect example of a site with subtle flash effects.

OP
C

ChicoWeb

Flash can be very annoying or a really powerful tool, and it depends on how the designer uses it. Flash intros or movies in the begging are crap. 95% of all viewers skip them anyways, and I hate waiting. Chances are, if your site doesn't load in 2 seconds, the user is gone. Its the 2 second rule. On the other hand, if you have elements that use flash, such as navigation, or really small load time programs it can be very effective. Deep blue is an example of that.

Thats just my 2 cents as a web designer and professor, and what I tell my clients & students. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me ask you this Chico: what is more important in terms of generating business? An impressive website or an impressive portfolio and past clients recommendations?

OP
C

ChicoWeb

gort said:
Let me ask you this Chico: what is more important in terms of generating business? An impressive website or an impressive portfolio and past clients recommendations?

Well I believe both are very important, but a great portfolio can speak for itself. Personally, I conentrate more on my clients work than mine, because I don't get paid for mine. My portfolio isn't always 100% up to date, but that just means I'm busy, right!

You do need to hook them in both ways. It is important for your website to carry a professional image just like the one you will create for a potential client. That initial first impression is what is going to get them to your portfolio page. But when I comes down to it, a strong portfolio is better in my opion.

OP
D

design2

chico: how many in your company or are you alone?

gort: do you have a website?

OP
R

RobDreugan

At least for me, Flash needs to have a point. it doesn't have to be on the level of 2advanced.com, but at the same time, if u can make the site in html/css, why make it flash if there's absolutely no difference?

Now, you could certainly make elements flash and other elements html/css. Again, there should be a purposeful reason for doing this. Maybe you want the navigation to do something special, or you want an interesting middle section that's a self advertisement or just an interesting changing graphic.

This makes sense; it doesn't make sense to just use flash for the sake of using it.

OP
D

design2

did anyone previous post?

design2 said:
sorry my fault
its going to be css/html
its just layout sorta, i got given no logo, or pics,
and just told a name and what links, crazy hey?

i just find flash quick to draw up an interface for layout instead of freehand or fireworks, or whateva u guys use..

- RobD, i will change it for css, but for layout i do it in flash because its a quick wysyg program

OP
R

RobDreugan

Oh i don't disagree, but maybe it'd be a good idea to say that before asking for a critique =P; cuz certainly that'd be a factor.

OP
D

design2

i want to be able to detect from my main index page whether the user has the flash player i am using or not, and from that direct it to the .swf site or .html site ..this should just be a snipped of javascript code right? anyone know what code i should enter? cos giving people the choice of flash/html slows down getting to where they want to go...plus for people without much internet knowledge it baffles them which choice to go with,

thanks..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.