website critique

OP
D

design2

woohoo i got a host+domain so now its http://www.ebesign.co.nz
ok probably not a big deal to you guys but i aint had a proper domain.

Um you guys mentioned before about the Typography, do you still think it needs changing? also someone mentioned changing my 2 column frame layout to a CSS div overflow should i still do this? Another note was to have all my pages alignment consistent, and obviously i need some more 'content' i am going to add some small pictures / graphics to jazz it up a little. However any other thoughts or suggestions are still very much welcome. Thanks

Design2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
What I just saw is a really nice job and unique :)

OP
R

RobDreugan

ya I still think u should play with the layout. The two column layout is pretty typical, but your navigation takes so much page space. At least if you unite the columns together and use the overflow command it could have a different feel to it.

Yer' pretty good on fonts right now. (I'd also look at using some more color as the blue/grey scheme again, isn't very ground breaking hehe)

OP
D

design2

cool, i agree. Rob i think ur the man i talk to, when it comes to comments, cheers for this. also my site on pc looks crap, i mean layout is fine but all the colors are darker and the grey/blue looks poor.

OP
R

RobDreugan

design2 said:
cool, i agree. Rob i think ur the man i talk to, when it comes to comments, cheers for this. also my site on pc looks crap, i mean layout is fine but all the colors are darker and the grey/blue looks poor.

It's no prob. I'm don't pretend to be a great graphic designer as I can't really draw that well, but I do know layout and colors fairly well. (This is why i pay people to make want I drawn into a site. hehe) But, ya I think you've got an original idea for navigation, and I think if you go back and play with the layout more, it'll be better.

If you look at other websites for color scheme ideas, you'll see what I mean when I say the blue/grey scheme is used alot. It's not bad, it's just not fresh.

A friend of mine taught me a really good way to figure color schemes out. Take a picture that you like, which you could see your site colors in. Then just go to photoshop and take the eye dropper tool. Since it's a picture typically all the colors will compliment each other, so try to play with that and create a palette for yourself.

It just takes time to get better with this.

OP
D

design2

css w/ browsers?

um guys i know css is used alot and is very helpful.
i mean i can use it and i know how much it saves on html tags, however there is a browser /os that doesnt support css well, i cant remember which one it is, do u know? is it IE or safari, netscape? i only know this because my friend makes all his sites in CSS and i do mine mostly in tables cos they are easy for me to control and he has many problems viewing in multiple browsers /platforms.

i was thinnking about this before i try the css overflow to but all my content in. also you know with my navigation how u dont know #1 where the links are and #2 which panels go to which links you only find this out once the page is fully loaded and you rollover + javascript enabled. is this a big problem? i mean personally i dont want to add text with names like 'home' etc because it takes away the idea of being simple and unique but it has to be functionable for beginner users.

OP
R

RobDreugan

design2 said:
um guys i know css is used alot and is very helpful.
i mean i can use it and i know how much it saves on html tags, however there is a browser /os that doesnt support css well, i cant remember which one it is, do u know? is it IE or safari, netscape? i only know this because my friend makes all his sites in CSS and i do mine mostly in tables cos they are easy for me to control and he has many problems viewing in multiple browsers /platforms.

Since there isn't a CSS standard yet, each browser draws the css differently. Techincally speaking you can make 95% of browsers read the css the correct way. It takes alot more work depending on how complex your css gets, but it can be done.

Think of it this way. IE for pc is in it's own class; Safari is in it's own class, Mozilla/Netscape are bascially the same. IE for mac isn't worth designing for.

So, if you can get it working on PC's IE and basically working with mozilla/netscape you're in pretty good shape.

It's just going to be time consuming.

i was thinnking about this before i try the css overflow to but all my content in. also you know with my navigation how u dont know #1 where the links are and #2 which panels go to which links you only find this out once the page is fully loaded and you rollover + javascript enabled. is this a big problem? i mean personally i dont want to add text with names like 'home' etc because it takes away the idea of being simple and unique but it has to be functionable for beginner users.

You won't have problems using overflow. Just be sure to set overflow to auto, so you don't have the horizontal scroll bar showing.

OP
D

design2

wow i cant believe CSS isnt a web standard by W3C yet?! they better get onto it.

Hey! I've recently had a fireworks/dreamweaver brief to create a website for a NZ music band i chose The Managers (ska band). Please give me comments
the site url is http://www.ebesign.co.nz/www/index
um its kinda hard to create a ska music band site cos there aint much sites out there. if u dont know what ska music is listen to the audio samples.

Also question. When you make a site in fireworks with buttons, etc
the javascript does not preload.. as you will notice on my site, is it difficult to change this, javascript looks abit tricky any tips? for example in my browser Safari it says its loaded fully but the rollover images are not loaded, and because i dont have obvious link names u need to rollover to find out the link name, so it looks wrong or broken.

Design2

OP
D

dtx3000

ok heres how to make the links preload (i <3 fireworks)
-make sure you have 2 frames (one for non-rollever and for rollover), or a seperate rollover image, and the original in the canvas is a slice or hotspot
-then, select the button in the canvas
-open behaviours panel
-click the plus sign, and go to -swap image
-panel comes up, select either the image !!!in frame 2!!!, or external image for swap image effect
-make sure "preload image" button is selected
-make sure "restore on mouseOut" is also selected
-hit ok
there it is.
and you said fireworks exports background images as straight html? to fix that, when you're saving (exporting rather) in the save dialogue box make sure 'include areas without slices' is checked.
hope this helps!
-dtx3k

OP
D

design2

hey guys

can you go to ebesign.co.nz
and check the flash version, i apologoize for making it look amateur.
but what simple effects can i create for my flash site.

any flash sites to look at for design, nav would be helpful.

Design2

OP
R

RobDreugan

design2 said:
hey guys

can you go to ebesign.co.nz
and check the flash version, i apologoize for making it look amateur.
but what simple effects can i create for my flash site.

any flash sites to look at for design, nav would be helpful.

Design2

www.coolhomepages.com they have whole areas devoted to cool flash pages.

I'd also recommend changing your FPS to 24 or 30, just so the motion doesn't look so slow and choppy. It looks like yer using 12fps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
I'd say stop using that bland gray background all the time.

OP
R

RobDreugan

Ya, first of all you keep using the same color schemes. You need to try and use different colors.

I'd really start looking at other designer's sites and try to get new ideas, because you're still stuck in the very tight, form fitting, box layout.

I mean, you just have to try and be more creative. Font choices, logo's, choosing to have the entire name of the website running across it, like a Term Paper or something.

All i can say is experiment.

OP
D

design2

good points..

RobDreugan said:
Ya, first of all you keep using the same color schemes. You need to try and use different colors.

I'd really start looking at other designer's sites and try to get new ideas, because you're still stuck in the very tight, form fitting, box layout.

I mean, you just have to try and be more creative. Font choices, logo's, choosing to have the entire name of the website running across it, like a Term Paper or something.

All i can say is experiment.

Rob, as always your right about everything however,
i have to point out to you this site is for a client who has very strict requirements and wanted a very simple, non artistic site using the same 'blocky' feel his broshure had. As for colours, logo, they were given to me, and i was not allowed to change because they had payed money for it and the font is static, but legibal and clear, plus the name is very long.

i realise im trying to defend myself but i do feel in this case i have been restrictive in design..believe me.. i have removed the color scheme .
and it is stationed at

http://www.ebesign.co.nz/ambury/

any small changes or specific font or color you think would work or maybe alignment suggestions are always welcome. plus my right navagation menu is all <a href> tags done in CSS with background img's can i control this so it works in safari ? cos at the moment it only looks good in explorer or should i not bother seeing as though most ppl use IE. Cheers

Design2

OP
R

RobDreugan

design2 said:
Rob, as always your right about everything however,
i have to point out to you this site is for a client who has very strict requirements and wanted a very simple, non artistic site using the same 'blocky' feel his broshure had.

Well, a site doesn't have to be artistic to be good. I wouldn't say that amazon.com or target.com are beautiful sites, but they serve their functional purpose as giving information and serving as a commerce site, while still looking very professional & clean. As a web designer who is doing work for a client, it is your job to make the site presentable.

You have to realize that clients come to a web designer because they have no idea what to do. Given the premise that they don't know what they really want to do besides have a website, it's your job to steer them in the right direction.

I had a client tell me that she wanted Italic New Times Roman for all body copy. I had to tell her, nicely, that she has chosen the least readible font and style choice that you could have on the internet; serif, italicized fonts...

design2 said:
As for colours, logo, they were given to me, and i was not allowed to change because they had payed money for it and the font is static, but legibal and clear, plus the name is very long.

Now, colors and logos are things that you can't change, you are right about that. In some cases you could at least play with the name, seeing how it's extremely long. Maybe having it take up 2 rows of text, that is tracked out to match each row.

Certainly, you can't have as much creative freedom if that is the case, but you can still recommend things to the client. Just because grey and blue are his primary colors, doesn't mean you couldn't have other colors accenting the site.

design2 said:
i realise im trying to defend myself but i do feel in this case i have been restrictive in design..believe me.. i have removed the color scheme .
and it is stationed at

http://www.ebesign.co.nz/ambury/

any small changes or specific font or color you think would work or maybe alignment suggestions are always welcome. plus my right navagation menu is all <a href> tags done in CSS with background img's can i control this so it works in safari ? cos at the moment it only looks good in explorer or should i not bother seeing as though most ppl use IE. Cheers

Design2

The only other comments I can really say, is that in the future, perhaps come up with several different designs for the client, so that they can pick and choose elements of each that they like.

The reality is that there's not much to the site, besides a very empty feeling header, Right aligned navigation which isn't easy to read, with that alignment. All I can say is that it doesn't look like enough time has been put in to that website.

I'm not the best designer by any means, but I'm typically the project manager for websites that I do with my associates, and frankly this just doesn't look professional. It's not meant as an insult, but if this is really a client and you want feedback, here's what yer getting.

In the end, if the client is happy, you've done your job, but realize also that if you want to attract more clients, this needs to be a website that you are proud of and want to show off.

OP
R

RobDreugan

design2 said:
hi guys

i have done this as a look and feel for my own personal site
please give me feedback on everything.

http://www.ebesign.co.nz/flash/qliam.swf

also i have done a look and feel for my own company website
feedback appreciated.

http://www.ebesign.co.nz/flash/orange.swf

thanks guys,
Design2

Well first, I think the orange site is ok. It's definitely a step up from your first site. The only tip I have for you is that if you are trying to have a business website, that you don't want to make anything negative.

I.e. when you say that, "our company is inspired by ugly websites." It's really not even saying what you really want it to say, but really you shouldn't talk bad about other businesses. You could say that your company wants to strive to create fresh new designs for each client, but you really don't want to say anything negative about your competitors. Even if you speak in generalities.

I think the blue flash site is a great start. I like the design alot, there's little things you can adjust and play with. I think you just need to fine tune that site. Lots of links don't work, misspelled links, etc.

Also, you can start to smooth up your animated transitions etc.. I'd definitely use that site for both your person and business. It's cool to see you've stuck it out and continued to try and design better and better sites.

Definitely work on that first one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Perhaps before you start trying to sell your services to people you should be confident enough in your design where you don't have to use a web forum for inspiration.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.