USB Drives

Reaction score
So before I got my Macbook I had a PC, running Ubuntu and Windows. Now I am an AVID anime. And since Fansubs take up a lot of drive space I have several external harddrives. Now with windows and ubuntu and pretty much everything that is not Mac. If there is a USB drive plugged into the computer. The OS at least displays on them on the desktop or wherever when you boot up the computer. However OSX does not do this.

So here is my question. Lets say I have a 1 Gig flash drive connected to a USB hub that is connected to my macbook. Now I turn on my Macbook and boot up. How do I get this drive to show up without me having to disconnect it then reconnect it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Open Disc Utility (it's in the Utilities folder inside your applications folder) and see if it shows up there. If so, you should be able to mount it. Also, look at the finders preferences and make sure you have the box checked to display hard drives on the desktop.

The fact that it doesn't show up to begin with is odd though. I've only occasionally had drives do this but not on a regular basis. What is the format of these drives?

OP
N
Reaction score
Open Disc Utility (it's in the Utilities folder inside your applications folder) and see if it shows up there. If so, you should be able to mount it. Also, look at the finders preferences and make sure you have the box checked to display hard drives on the desktop.

The fact that it doesn't show up to begin with is odd though. I've only occasionally had drives do this but not on a regular basis. What is the format of these drives?
Well i am not at home I am at work. But I will check it out.

The format of my drives is Fat32. I need them to be readable on my windows partition as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.