How do I enable file sharing between my Macs?

Reaction score
we have a new iMac and a Macbook on a network with an Airport Extreme. it was incredibly easy to set up and runs flawlessly, but what do i need to do to get each machine to recognize the other and allow file sharing between the two?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
You have to enable file Sharing on both Macs.

System Pref's Sharing. Tick the Personal file sharing box in the services Pane
Do this on both Mac's

Then choose Finder ---Go---Connect to server (Cmd+K) then Type in the IP and address you saw at the bottom the other macs services pane it will read somthing like this

Other Macintosh users can access your computer at afp://xxx.xxx.x.xxx (IP)/username or browse for "Blah Blahs Computer" by choosing Network from the Go menu in the Finder.

When connected you will have to enter a password if used.

This works for my son and I using iMacs. Ther is no doubt a more elegant way..But I'm new to all this too

Good luck

OP
Digger
Reaction score
that's what is puzzling me. I enabled file sharing in both Macs, but when I click on 'network' in the 'go' column nothing happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
It's not Network in the go column you should try "CONECT TO SERVER" it's at the bottom cmd+K and not (shift +cmd+K) You may have to browse to find your other mac on the network.

Maybe someone else could be of more help here

OP
Digger
Reaction score
when I enter the IP address, it's finding the Macbook. the new problem is it won't accept my sys admin name and password.

any thoughts?

OP
Digger
Reaction score
and the same thing is happening when trying to access the Macbook from the imac, it won't take the admin password we assigned to the Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had the same trouble.When I access to my sons iMac I use his Log on password when we log on to my iMac I use my master password as I have no other account on my iMac

Thanks to pulse-8

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.