os discs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
hi there

i am thinking of reinstalling my os on my ibook (having a good clean out) and would like to know if it

a) legal
and
b) possible

to use my imac os discs as i dont know where my ibook ones are

thanks.

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
anyone know ?

Reaction score
So Chris, you had OS 10.4 on your iBook? I'm not sure if the Install Disc that came with your iMac are suitable for the iBook. If the discs are Retail then it would work, but your iMac possibly has a different architecture and the install discs aren't backwards compatible AFAIK.

M

MacHeadCase

Chris, install disks that come with a Mac are model specific so you can't use the iMac disks to install on your iBook: it will refuse to install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
as MHC stated you can't just use any osx discs to restore as they are model specific.. you can buy them direct from apple or you could try ebay if you lost them originals.

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thanks for the replies guys. i will look for them again.

Reaction score
You have an intel iMac Chris and the iBook is gonna freak out if you don't feed it a PowerPC discs. (I'm pretty sure the iBooks were PowerPC)

Full Retail Install Discs are Universal, whereas the Model Specific discs just won't be recognised by anything other than the Model they came with.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You are correct Pulse, All iBooks, Powerbooks are G4 or less PPC Processors. You can not use any Intel version of OSX on a PPC Mac. You really need the disks that came with the iBook or a Full Install DVD of Tiger. The Boxed versions are not machine specific like the DVD's that come with the machines are.

Reaction score
I used to have a pic of the 2 types of Install Discs but I can't seem to find them at the moment.

It would make it easier to be able to find that picture so people could see the different labels that go on them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.