G4 iMac, how do I open the CD drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 10.5.6, 4 gig several ImacsG4's 640kb/10.3.9 and an Ibook G4/Tiger
How to I get the CD drive open if its having trouble booting? I want to format and re install the OS but cant get teh darn door to the drive open :)

regards
Ray

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How to I get the CD drive open if its having trouble booting? I want to format and re install the OS but cant get teh darn door to the drive open :)

regards
Ray

Is this the iMac that looks like a Lamp?

Anyway hold down the mouse button from the time you hear the chime and keep it down. Door should open.

If you are in OSX, open the Disk Utility and click on the CD Drive and click Eject.

OP
RayLee
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you!!! We are know re installing the OS, we had a power blip or something at work adn know all we get is this on one of our iMacs

original.jpg

well, its been a really really bad day, we had a 400mm 2.8 lens stop working (over $6000) and a used $200 iMac (looks like we got it working :) )

thanks
Ray

Is this the iMac that looks like a Lamp?

Anyway hold down the mouse button from the time you hear the chime and keep it down. Door should open.

If you are in OSX, open the Disk Utility and click on the CD Drive and click Eject.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Glad I could help. Sad the power glitch caused you so many issues but it happens sometimes. Hope the reinstall sorts it all out for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
There's no way I'd be running even my private computer without at least one of these anymore:
ecapcbe650riv4.jpg

Even more so with equipment as expensive as described.

OP
RayLee
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL, I buy them used for $200-$300 but your right I really need a better power system, if it nailed my main HD's the data loss could have really cost me (an entire weekend of work, 2 12++ hour days)

That is a battery/buffer device is it not?

thank you for the advice

Ray

There's no way I'd be running even my private computer without at least one of these anymore:
ecapcbe650riv4.jpg

Even more so with equipment as expensive as described.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
LOL, I buy them used for $200-$300 but your right I really need a better power system, if it nailed my main HD's the data loss could have really cost me (an entire weekend of work, 2 12++ hour days)

That is a battery/buffer device is it not?

thank you for the advice

Ray

Yes, it is. A UPS from APC, not even an expensive one. Provides about 20 minutes of power for my machine; also catches spikes and drops.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.