Buy a Macbook Pro now or wait?

Reaction score
Has apple announced a new line of laptops/technology at all? What about upgrading their current ones (when new OSX comes out)? The reason I'm asking is I'm looking to get a MBP for video editing but if a new model is just around the corner, I can wait. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
Has apple announced a new line of laptops/technology at all? What about upgrading their current ones (when new OSX comes out)? The reason I'm asking is I'm looking to get a MBP for video editing but if a new model is just around the corner, I can wait. Thanks!

Welcome to Mac-Forums! You'll find plenty of threads on this topic by browsing the "rumors and reports" area.

Quick summary though: I think we're all fairly certain a new lineup of MBP's will be announced at WWDC June 11th-15th. Rumors of what might be upgraded include the newest Core 2 processors (aka Santa Rosa), and the integration of LED technology into the screen.

Even quicker summary: No one knows for sure! Might wanna wait a month...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 GB at 7200rpms 4GB ram...iPhone 3G
Yea, I'm looking to grab my MBP 17 inch in august... I also am waiting to hear from WWDC if they're going to upgrade. Cuz i don't want to buy one in aug and then new ones come out with leopard in october...

Edit: see apples amazing, but their one downside is you never know when they're new stuff is going to come out.They're creating new technology and they progress too fast... Slow down and let me get my MBP and not have to be bummed a few months later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Welcome to Mac-Forums! You'll find plenty of threads on this topic by browsing the "rumors and reports" area.

Quick summary though: I think we're all fairly certain a new lineup of MBP's will be announced at WWDC June 11th-15th. Rumors of what might be upgraded include the newest Core 2 processors (aka Santa Rosa), and the integration of LED technology into the screen.

Even quicker summary: No one knows for sure! Might wanna wait a month...

yup.

Another recommendation I have is to not psych yourself out into disappointment. A lot of people around various forums put too much hope & personal expectation into what they want to see announced and many times get very disappointed. At this point, I think waiting a month isn't such a bad thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
is this the same situation for the normal macbooks? Or just the MacBook Pro's?

Reaction score
My personal decision was to just go ahead an buy one (I bought a macbook pro and a black macbook for my son). Basically I think that any notebook I buy now is simply going to run and perform in a manner efecient and well enough for anything we want to do. If there is an upgrade in the macbooks, it's not going to be such an advantage that I can't live without it... if it is a MAJOR upgrade it's going to cost more money than I think is worth it. I opt for a lower processor speed and more ram... besides who wants to sit around without a mac! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
I'd much rather wait if I were going to buy one

The pro model is overdue for an update at this point and the Santa Rosas are the latest and greatest kind of thing to come out very soon

how I always see it, you aren't waiting a month, you've just got another month to save some more money. Even if you don't use te money on the laptop you've got it saved because as we all know - computers cost the earth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Definitely wait, the next update will most likely contain LED backlighting and a Santa Rosa upgrade, hopefully with support for 4gb ram!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I wouldn't call Santa Rosa much of an upgrade. I'd buy now - you're waiting for a small upgrade that may not happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
see this is why i just got my iMac in April. I knew the WWDC was just around the corner and that I'd be annoyed when it comes, but if I waited until then, I'd wait until October for Leopard, then I'd be waiting for something else and I''d never switch!

So in the end I just said 'screw it' and bought my iMac in April - the new iMacs can't exactly blow away my iMac, it's not like there's a Core 3 chip out or anything. And Leopard isnt much of a problem - I can afford it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.