ibook g3 - g4

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 14" ibook g4 motherboard and a busted 14" ibook g3, is there any chance i can swap out the motherboards, considering all components are onboard? Anyone know of sizing issues etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
WOW! Crack that mother open and find out! What are you waiting for?:Evil:

OP
W
Reaction score
The take apart process is quite tedious, I'd rather save myself the time spent doing it if I can at all. The outer case dimensions seem to be the same, the board layout seems similar layout. But I'd rather not find out 10 - 20 screws in that I have to disassemble again and take out the new mobo :(

Reaction score
You don't have to go any further than popping off the keyboard. You can see the Airport slot, ram configuration, the keyboard cable and track pad connector are all different! Won't work!

OP
W
Reaction score
You don't have to go any further than popping off the keyboard. You can see the Airport slot, ram configuration, the keyboard cable and track pad connector are all different! Won't work!

Hi Sherman,
Well the airport slot is a different factor but the same size, space, and position just the shielding that overlaps too much (enough to make a contact). So I don't particularly see this as an issue. The ram is also as far as I can tell well in space. The keyboard/trackpad connector I haven't actually checked, good thinking.

I'd check the guides here to see the differences:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/

Thanks Apt, thought about it but it doesn't give a great indicator of overlapping screw positions etc, hence asking on the boards in case anyone had done this before. Good thinking though, might be my last resort.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.