Memory for Mac Pro

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I am about to make my transformation from PC (currently typing to you on btw) into a Mac Pro with a few added extras. Student discount is great, but i want the most out of it, and if i can outsource for some things like memory, save money, and improve my setup, then I'm all for it. I've asked the "Geek Squad" at Best Buy and they said sure, but they didn't seem to really care whether it was compatible or not, since i wasn't giving them something to work on and take money for. Enough rambling, will this ram be suitable for a Mac Pro http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134046
and if not, what does this lack that i need to be looking for. I am about a month away from the beast, and i want to have my memory in house before it gets here so i can install it and get started. Thanks for the time and I hope to talk to you guys more often.

PS I'm wanting to get about 8GB so that is why that particular model was interesting to me(CHEAP). Don't hold it against me if that is the wrong stuff, I'm just getting into Mac's so i don't know what they require.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro quad-core 2.66gHz, Leopard, 9gb RAM, one 250gb, two 500gb and three 1tb internal SATA drives
You need RAM that is ECC Fully Buffered like this one. I added four of these into my MacPro. The price dropped after I bought the first pair. Crucial also has 2gb RAM like this one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146585

Crucial has an excellent reputation so I'm willing to pay a little more for this assurance. RAM will run hot in a MacPro so you need a reliable product and should add heat sinks if not included.

You don't want to go cheap on RAM for your MacPro because quality is more important. Cheap hard drives are OK though. I added three Seagate 500gb SATA drives from Newegg for $130 each.

OP
L
Reaction score
We'll I appreciate the information. I can understand i don't want to short myself and my computer by putting crap in my system. I'd hate to spend $3000 on a Pro and then put something thats not good in it. Thanks for the help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.