My Tips for Search Engine Optimization

Reaction score
Hey guys, I thought I would post this here as it might prove useful for some of you. It the first part in a two part article that I am posting on tigerplug.wordpress.com

Im interested in contributions too if anyone would like to make any on either a regular or once of basis. ;D

SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION
The title tag of a HTML or similar web document is very important to how your website will be found using search engines. My advice would be that it is best to keep things simple and more to the point, only use features you need. Do you really need Flash and Javascript? If yes, then use them. If you don’t need them, don’t over complicate the search engine optimization process by using them. They can pull you down in the long run especially if they are not essential to your site.

* The title tag is in fact the most important piece of information for search engine users.
* It is always a good idea to keep your title tag short, generally speaking it would be wise to keep it between 5 to 10 words.

The less HTML code that you have, the better. This will make it easier to search your content. Clean, quality HTML is essential for good results. You don’t want to slow down your pages with non-essential code. Some search engines don’t warm to pages over a certain size, say perhaps 80-100Kb.

I tend not to use Flash pages. As you can imagine, Flash can really have a negative effect your rankings in search engines.

Do you NEED a static website or a dynamic website? Ask yourself which one of these do you need? Is a dynamic site essential? You don’t need a dynamic website unless you are for example a holiday booking site where users can query a database about available holidays. If you don’t need such functions keep it static.

Make sure that you use alternative text for images. Search engines will pick up on this.

Good organization of content-

Take this concept as an example: take a fictional website called “xyz.com” with anFiling Cabinet integrated search engine. You proceed to search the site using the keyword “Green Shoes” as you are looking for a pair of green trainers that you had seen on the site a few months ago. The results are poor and aren’t much related to your search terms.

Now go to Google.com and use the search keywords “Green Shows XYZ.com”. More than likely you will find that Google will return with te search result that you are in fact looking for.

Lets stand back from the whole thing for a minute. Ask yourself what is the one main difference here?

The main difference here is organization. Most people get carried away with “Search” , after all that is what they are trying to do. They are trying to search for something.

Enter Google! The importance of the organization of content is heavily reflected in the success of Google. I can’t stress it enough: If content is organized well it is easy to find!

This of course is common sense which, unfortunately many people forget to apply to real life situations.

Think about it. Which is easier to search through? A stack of papers on your desk or a well organized filing cabinet? I think we all know the answer to that one!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.