Scanning old pictures and taking old VHS movies and putting them on the computer

Reaction score
Ok guys, Its about time that I do this huge project for my parents. They basically want all of our old pictures scanned, and all old camcorder and VHS home movies put on the computer and put on DVD's.

My question is this, what is the best way of going about this. I have a scanner, what would be the appropriate scan settings, dpi etc? They will be viewed on the computer and on slide show DVD's on a TV for public viewing.

As for the video. Is there like a little capture card that can just have the VCR plug into a USB adapter, and have the usb go into my computer? IF anyone has done this before can you please give me some insight on the most productive way you did this?

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
Scanning black and white photos in color mode creates better photos than just scanning gray scale.
Scanning them in color mode gives them a sepia tone.
I use 200dpi scan for the Web.
To view on the computer, a 800x600 pixels image would do fine.
Rest of your questions would be answered soon by others, I am sure.
:D

OP
T
Reaction score
I mean they are color photos. I'm only 22. I Just mean pics from when my parents got married and ones from me and siblings growing up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
I mean they are color photos. I'm only 22. I Just mean pics from when my parents got married and ones from me and siblings growing up.

Oooops! Sorry! I think I gave away my age accidentally.
These would apply to color photos:
I use 200dpi scan for the Web.
To view on the computer, a 800x600 pixels image would do fine.
:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.