Running programs off of an external hard-drive..

Reaction score
Ok...so I am completely out of space on my hard-drive. And instead of just upgrading my internal hard-drive, is there a way I could combine the uses of an internal hard-drive with buying an external hard-drive? My ultimate goal in this would be to run programs off of my external hard-drive, if i were to buy one.

So yeah. That's my question. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
When I started getting low on space on my (non-portable) Mac I moved some of the bigger apps, such as Unreal Tournament (5 gig) Adobe Creative Suite (a couple gig there) to an external 250gig firewire drive. I just created a folder on it that I called 'Applications2' and dragged them there. The Creative Suite has individual folders for each application so I just dragged those folders, while UT was just one app which I dragged over to the external. All worked fine.

Now that I have a Macbook my external drive isn't always with me, so while I could do similarly, I wouldn't have those apps with me wherever I go, which is kind of the point of having a portable Mac and I'm not about to pack up the enclosure to take with me everywhere.

But yeah, it's pretty straightforward to move and run apps from an external drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.