Can't boot OS X on Imac G3

Reaction score
Please be gentle with me, a newbie to the world of Mac!

My wife has a G3 and was running OS 9 until a couple of days ago, installed OS X with brand new unused discs and everything was working fine until tonight..........

All I'm getting (after the "Starting OS X" screen) is the "Finder" toolbar at the top of the screen flashing on and off (appears and disappears!).

Help!!!!

Reaction score
Try this.

If that fixes it, go into the Utilities folder, start Disk Utility and run a permissions fix if you haven't done so.

Edit: The iMac may need a firmware update, as well.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, glad to find someone that knows Mac's!

Sometimes I wish I hadn't started something......

Went back to the imac and stuck the OS X discs in to reinstall it, held the C key down and it restarted and did the job.
Up and running now, but still with problems, mainly with Safari.

OS X 10.2 and Safari 1.0.3

Kept getting it "Quit unexpectedly", found advice about that and disabled Javascript. Working better now, but still quits sometimes.
Unable to "Paste" into safari, will "Copy".

Re: the "Quitting" problem, I found an article that said to delete a file in the Libraries/Preferences folder, can't remember file name without looking it up again, but a Quicktime file. I didn't have the file so couldn't delete it!

Installed Firefox and still get the "Quitting" problem when Javascript is enabled.

Used the software restore discs, no improvement.....

M

MacHeadCase

If you can install Panther instead, it would be much better. I used Jaguar (Mac OS X 10.2.x) and after I upgraded my OS to Panther, I was much happier. The iMac I was using was much more stable, especially with the successive updates bringing it to 10.3.9. In fact, it was one of the most stable OS versions I ever had installed on any of my Macs.

OP
T
Reaction score
I said I was new to Mac!

I've quickly found out that it's almost impossible to burn a bootable disc (unless anyone here knows better), so it's simply down to buying a legit copy....

Any other ideas how to solve the original problems?

M

MacHeadCase

Of course you need to buy a legit copy! :|

There are no problems booting up from a legally bought CD and reinstalling the OS.

Follow these tips for the installation. I would not use the Upgrade option during the installation process, you need to wipe the hard drive and install. If she needs OS 9 on it, hopefully she kept the CD kit that came with the iMac.

OP
T
Reaction score
Looking on Ebay there are some editions which I'm unsure about.

Would "Apple Power Mac OS X Install Discs 10.3.4" be what I'm looking for?

There is also " iBook G4 installation CDs, Mac OS X 10.4" which I assume will only work on a ibook, is that correct?

Sorry to ask so many questions!

M

MacHeadCase

It's no bother at all.

If you get an OS install disk set that came with another Mac, it won't work as these install disks are model and hardware specific. Make sure whatever you buy is a set for a full OS install. I would think that the first one you mentioned is a full install disk. Is it possible for you to contact the seller that way you would be sure.

Reaction score
I said I was new to Mac!

I've quickly found out that it's almost impossible to burn a bootable disc (unless anyone here knows better), so it's simply down to buying a legit copy....

Any other ideas how to solve the original problems?

Make sure the discs you buy have a big White X on them. That's how you tell the difference between a Retail Full Installation Disc/s & the Installation Disc/s which was/were created specifically for the Mac model they were originally sold with.

Full Retail Install Discs have a Universal Installer on them but Machine Specific Install Discs don't and therefore won't work on other Mac models.

panther_cd_black.jpg

OP
T
Reaction score
Had a (small) brainwave....

Old, dead, imac had a fully operational setup. I thought it might be worth a try to put the hard drive from the old machine into the new one (and save myself the cost of a full OS!).

Swap was easy enough, but now get the famous flashing question mark. Is there an easy way to make it work?

Thanks for the info on the OS discs, now have 2 in my ebay watch list and have contacted the sellers.

M

MacHeadCase

If the flashing question mark is in a globe, it means it is looking for the system on a network. If it is a flashing question mark in a folder, that means it can't find a valid system to boot from on the disk.

OP
T
Reaction score
Full install set on it's way from Canada of all places!
Much cheaper than buying it from UK sellers.....

Reaction score
It just sounded a little funny. I didn't make the connection between you having it shipped from Canada and MHC's help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.