Absolutely frozen

J

jiselsky

So, I seem to have broken the computer. Which is an iMacDv, circa 2000, running 10.2.something i cant figure out because i cant get it to do anything.
I was trying to move my mp3s (all almost 2000 of them) from my mac HD to my external lacie drive. it was being finicky, and somehow started copying them all to the desktop. or moving them, i couldnt tell. i stopped it, finally, and now the files are all over the desktop. and i cant do ANYTHING. except force quit the finder, which doesnt help at all. the dock doesnt rise up from the bottom like it should, i cant open any programs with the mouse, or with the keyboard. im at a loss... i have tons of stuff on the computer, as im sure everyone else does. i need to get to it. what can i do??? please? help?

thanks,
jill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
First try repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions -I really hope it's the same in 10.2.x Barring this restart - hold command S to single user terminal and type /sbin/fsck -fy until ******FILE SYSTEM CHANGED****** doesn't show anymore :)

OP
A

atom

Also once you are in the single user mode you can manually move the filed to a new folder. If that messes up things.

Just go to your desktop folder and them create a new folder called mp3 then enter "mv *mp3 mp3/".
This will move all your MP3's into the folder mp3 and off your desktop.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would hazard a guess that you may have run out of disk space, judging by your description of the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.