i switched, and wish i could switch back *blasphemy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yeah, that's just how it is. BSOD will happen in xp - just a question of how often. And the worm vulnerability is just down right retarded

OP
S

StealthMode

Sometimes you will get BSOD's in XP because the person has not setup tthe hardware right. Memory for one thing, running the timings too tight will cause a blue screen, but then again, no need to worry over such a think with a mac. No need to tweak the hardware to make it do what you want. I love it! So much less hassle with everything, just do what you need to do and your done. Why can we not have this with PC's? Because everyone makes something for XP, it's like Japanese cars vs US made cars. The tolerances seem to be so much higher with anything PC based.
Take it for what you will, this is just my take on things. ;)

OP
T

TylerMoney

well, it's not a hardware problem on my computer....it's been running fine for about two years..aside from a couple complete formats do to viruses....and some freeze ups..normal windows things....this blue screen of death came on because it didn't like me playing counter-strike ever since I got steam.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
slowpokecrx91 said:
maybe im just being picky or maybe i just have add extreme luck with my pc products,

i have never had a pc fail on me, my work pc's are running fine and i litterally havent rebooted in months. The only reason i even switched is that my fiance moved in with me and her mac was newer and much more expensive than my gaming system and we were limited on space so i switched for her (lol)

Dont get me wrong it does look neater, but im a 7 button mouse kind of guy.

Is it normal for it to take 3 hours to upgrade to panther, i was litterally pulling my hair out.

No, that is FAR from normal. Your Mac is 2x faster than my old G4 500 Sawtooth and Panther took maybe 30 Min max to install and reboot into Panther. My Mini took maybe 25 minutes even with it's very slow laptop drive. Something is wrong. Could be that DVD/CD drive problem slowing it down. How old is the Mac? If it's under waranty Apple should take care of the defective DVD drive. Check the connections like the other poster suggested.

OP
F

falltime

witeshark said:
Yeah, that's just how it is. BSOD will happen in xp - just a question of how often. And the worm vulnerability is just down right retarded

XP has never crashed on me in 3 years. There are alot of people out there that have a similar experience with XP.

OS X also has a "bsod," but its not blue, it's gray. And yes, I've seen it numerous times.

OP
F

falltime

dtravis7 said:
No, that is FAR from normal. Your Mac is 2x faster than my old G4 500 Sawtooth and Panther took maybe 30 Min max to install and reboot into Panther. My Mini took maybe 25 minutes even with it's very slow laptop drive. Something is wrong. Could be that DVD/CD drive problem slowing it down. How old is the Mac? If it's under waranty Apple should take care of the defective DVD drive. Check the connections like the other poster suggested.

In his initial post he mentioned he was having issues with his superdrive, but Apple would not replace it because it still "worked." While I doubt I was one of the techs that denied his replacement, I have dealt with the issue on numerous occasions, and I know that replacing the superdrive would most likely not fix it. Here are a few tips on handling the issue:

1. Terribly enough, there have been several documented cases of customers receiving macs with 40-pin IDE cables connecting their superdrive to the mobo. This is because many of the people that build the macs are young, ignorant and careless (I was one of those people many years ago). 40-pin IDE cables are sufficient enough for older low-end CD-ROMs/CD Burners, but they drastically hinder the performance of today's CD/DVD Burners, which require 80-pin IDE cables. If a high-end CD/DVD burner is connected with a 40pin cable, it will default to PIO mode, (not the newer and faster UDMA) and it will still work, just be painfully slow. 40-pin and 80-pin cables have the exact same connectors, and look virtually identical to each other from a medium distance. But when carefully inspected, the difference will be quite obvious - the 40-pin cables have noticeably thicker wires.
2. Another very common problem are the pins that connect the socket to the mobo. The plastic socket is very flimsy and so are the pins that connect through it. The installer may have been a little to rough when connecting the IDE cable and accidentally pushed a few of the pins out of the socket. The issue is generally very easy to fix: you just open your mac, look for the socket that connects the IDE cable from your superdrive to your mobo, and see if any of the pins aren't aligned with the other pins. If they aren't, just push them back into alignment with a screwdriver, and push the IDE cable back into the socket.

Once again, the superdrive will still work even if this issue remains unresolved, it will just be terribly slow. This is why these particular issues are so hard to troubleshoot.

OP
F

falltime

StealthMode said:
XP doesn't use 64bit period.. AMD's 64bit processors have very fast 32bit though, and therefore are still extremely good performers. 64bit isn't even an issue until they release the 64bit version of XP.

There is a 64-bit version of XP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
Check the date fellas. ;)

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
how did this get dug up? i didnt read it the first few times that i scrolled through it, and just now i noticed some banned people and i was like [joe dirt]whhhhhhhhhaaaaaat.[/joe dirt]

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Opps. for some reason it showed up when I was looking for new messages. Don't know why. Oh well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
it's fun diggin up old posts! :yinyang:

Well, I consider myself a duel user since I now work with both. My PC is my gaming rig and the Mac was originally a toy to play with. Now I'm falling in love with the way the Mac looks and works but I still struggle with trying to figure stuff out.

I think WinXP is a very good OS considering the previous versions. The HOME version of OK but one must go for a PRO version for stability and control. I've been quite happy with mine.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
scooter said:
My PC is my gaming rig and the Mac was originally a toy to play with.
So are you saying that your PC is a toy and ..... :p ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
rman said:
So are you saying that your PC is a toy and ..... :p ;)

actually they are both toys! ;) :mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.