DVD R or DVD RW? (Difference?)

J

Joeytpg

Guys, what's the dif. with this?..DVD-R or DVD-RW?...i was reading a few comments down at Apple's Msg boards and i found a topic where this guy was saying he wanted the ibook g4 with Super drive but it didn't support DVD-RW

what's the Dif??

i wanna get the ibook g4 1.2ghz WITH DVD-Burning (what's DVD burning? DVD-R or DVD-RW?) i just want to be able to Burn a rented movie i really like of something.....will a Superdrive Update (on the new ibook) will do it ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Joeytpg said:
Guys, what's the dif. with this?..DVD-R or DVD-RW?...i was reading a few comments down at Apple's Msg boards and i found a topic where this guy was saying he wanted the ibook g4 with Super drive but it didn't support DVD-RW
what's the Dif??
i wanna get the ibook g4 1.2ghz WITH DVD-Burning (what's DVD burning? DVD-R or DVD-RW?) i just want to be able to Burn a rented movie i really like of something.....will a Superdrive Update (on the new ibook) will do it ??
DVD-R is recordable CDs and DVD-RW is able to burn re recordable CDs DVD burning is the super drive

OP
J

Joeytpg

witeshark said:
DVD-R is recordable CDs and DVD-RW is able to burn re recordable CDs DVD burning is the super drive

So with Super Drive i won't be able to use CD-RW's? only Blank CD's?

Question #1:

For example, with my ibook i really need to:

1) Burn normal CD's (Music, Data) (Using blank CD's)

2) Burn DVD's (Movies, music video DVD's)

3) Burn CD RW (Re Writeable CD's) This is very useful, since you can burn a cd and then Empty it and use the SAME CD again.

Can i perform this 3 with Super Drive??

Question # 2:

What's the "slot - load" thing?....i saw that the Powerbooks have a different way of inserting the CD (it's like the computer "eats it", sorry for the chilidish word hehehe) and i've seen the "normal" way in the ibook..
can someone explain? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Joeytpg said:
So with Super Drive i won't be able to use CD-RW's? only Blank CD's?

Question #1:

For example, with my ibook i really need to:

1) Burn normal CD's (Music, Data) (Using blank CD's)

2) Burn DVD's (Movies, music video DVD's)

3) Burn CD RW (Re Writeable CD's) This is very useful, since you can burn a cd and then Empty it and use the SAME CD again.

Can i perform this 3 with Super Drive??

Question # 2:

What's the "slot - load" thing?....i saw that the Powerbooks have a different way of inserting the CD (it's like the computer "eats it", sorry for the chilidish word hehehe) and i've seen the "normal" way in the ibook..
can someone explain? :)
Yeah super drive can do all that. Slot loading means there is no tray that slides out to hold the CD, you just slide it in the slot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
all apple laptops have slot loading now

OP
J

Joeytpg

trpnmonkey41 said:
all apple laptops have slot loading now

Really??...i though that ONLY Powerbooks had the Slot Loading option.....

cuz i saw a pic of an iBook and it seemed like it had the Normal CD drive

That's even Cooler!! :D **** i'm psyched to get the ibook!! :D

guys what do you think?

iBook g4
14" screen,
1.2ghz,
256 ram (and i'll expand it, probably i'll buy a 512 stick from Crucial.com)
Super Drive,
Airport: (this is a great option specially if you're a student because most universities have wireless connections in the library so that way i'll be online
while i'm at the library :p)

i'll buy an external mouse cuz i don't like the feel on those Laptop Pads. (Can anyone suggest a GOOD external mouse?...i like the apple Pro mouse, but i want a two button and scrolling wheel mouse. Suggestions anyone??..a GOOD mouse?, not so expensive tho)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Your question of what is the difference between DVD-R and DVD-RW?

I did a google search and found the following:

Currently there are many writeable and rewriteable DVD formats on the market, and this can be confusing to the average consumer. These DVD formats include:

DVD-RAM
DVD-R
DVD-RW
DVD+R
DVD+RW

DVD-RAM

DVD-RAM is a sanctioned format of the DVD Forum, a consortium of companies involved in the development of DVD standards. DVD-RAM was a format originally aimed primarily as a data solution, but it is now becoming popular as a video format used by some brands of standalone (non-PC) DVD recorders. DVD-RAM is a very robust data storage solution, theoretically allowing greater than 100000 rewrites per disc.

Early PC-based DVD-RAM recorders used 2.6 GB discs (or double-sided 5.2 GB discs), but current drives also use 4.7 GB discs (or double-sided 9.4 GB discs). DVD-RAM discs are traditionally housed within cartridges, so that the media is well-protected. Originally, the cartridges could not be opened, but newer Type II and Type IV cartridges can be opened, an important feature for those who wish to read these discs in DVD-RAM compatible DVD-ROM drives or standalone DVD players. In addition, some DVD-RAM discs are now sold without cartridges.

In addition to support of the usual DVD UDF formats, DVD-RAM also allows fully integrated OS-level random read/write access similar to hard drives, with both Windows XP (with FAT32) and Mac OS X (with FAT32 or HFS+), as well as on-the-fly write verification.

The main drawback of the DVD-RAM format is its limited read compatibility by DVD-ROM drives and standalone DVD players. DVD-RAM read support with these units is increasing however, partially because of the increasing popularity of home standalone DVD-RAM recorders in home theatre systems.

DVD-R and DVD-RW

DVD-R and DVD-RW are also both formats of the DVD Forum. Both formats generally use 4.7 GB discs, although some professional DVD-R drives use 3.95 GB discs.

DVD-R is a write-once recordable format which allows excellent compatibility with both standalone DVD players and DVD-ROM drives. There are two main types of DVD-R discs: DVD-R for General Use and DVD-R for Authoring. Most consumer DVD-R burners use the cheaper General Use discs, while some professional burners use Authoring discs. The correct media type appropriate for the recorder must be used when burning a DVD-R. However, once written, the discs should be readable in either drive type. (General Use DVD-R is designed to prevent backup of encrypted commercial DVDs.)

DVD-RW media uses rewriteable discs which are rated for more than 1000 rewrites in ideal situations. The majority of standalone DVD players will play video recorded on DVD-RW discs, but the compatibility is not as high as with DVD-R.

Current DVD-RW recorders also record to DVD-R. However, the reverse was not always true. Some older DVD-R recorders were not capable of writing to DVD-RW discs (although some were able to read DVD-RW discs burned with other drives).

DVD-RW and DVD-R have heavy penetration into the professional multimedia market as well as the general consumer market. For instance, the Apple SuperDrive, found in many pro and consumer Mac computers, is simply a DVD-R/DVD-RW (and CD-R/CD-RW) capable burner.

DVD+R and DVD+RW

These two formats are backed by the DVD+RW Alliance. While these formats are not supported by the DVD Forum, several members of the DVD+RW Alliance are also members of the DVD Forum. These discs are very similar to DVD-R and DVD-RW in design, usage, and compatibility.

DVD+RW, like DVD-RW, is a rewriteable 4.7 GB format, and overall it has similar functionality to DVD-RW. The level of compatibility of standard DVD+RW discs in standalone DVD players is similar to that of DVD-RW. The rewritability of DVD+RW is also said to be similar to that of DVD-RW, allowing up to 1000 rewrites.

One potential advantage of the DVD+RW format is Mount Rainier (DVD+MRW) drag-and-drop file access support planned for Longhorn, a future version of Windows slated for release in 2005. Older DVD+RW drives do not support this function, but newer drives may. While DVD+MRW is arguably not as robust a data solution as DVD-RAM, DVD+MRW potentially will offer higher read compatibility in current DVD-ROM drives.

DVD+R is a format that was introduced to consumers in early 2002. The first generation +RW recorders did not support DVD+R recording, and likely cannot be upgraded to do so. However, all current models of DVD+RW recorders also support DVD+R recording. Compatibility of +R discs in standalone DVD players is similar to that of DVD-R.

Can I have it all?

Support of combinations of several of the formats are available in many current drives. Recorders that conform to the DVD Forum’s DVD Multi Recorder standard will record to DVD-RAM, DVD-R, and DVD-RW. Other recorders also record to both +R/+RW and DVD-R/DVD-RW. Some drives are even able to record to all of the DVD Forum and DVD+RW Alliance formats. In addition to the various DVD formats, most drives will also record to CD-R and CD-RW discs.

So what should I buy then?

This is a very difficult question. The choice largely depends on one's usage environment and preferences.

DVD-RAM discs cannot be used in most standalone DVD players and DVD-ROM drives, and this has historically made this format less attractive for the average home user. However, the integrated OS-level drag-and-drop read/write data support of DVD-RAM makes it very attractive for some users, especially now that most current DVD-RAM burners also support DVD-R burning for video applications. DVD-RAM capable PC drives will also be ideal for those whom already own DVD-RAM based camcorders or standalone DVD-RAM recorders.

DVD-R/DVD-RW drives currently have the highest market penetration, both with PCs and Macs. As previously mentioned, DVD-R enjoys high compatibility with standalone DVD players. In addition, the low cost of DVD-RW is attractive to many for backup purposes. Furthermore, most standalone DVD players will read DVD-RW as well, although the compatibility rate is lower than with DVD-R.

DVD+R/DVD+RW is gaining market share, and these discs appear to have similar compatibility on standalone DVD players as DVD-R/DVD-RW discs. Similarly, current functionality with these drives is similar to DVD-R/DVD-RW drives, both for data and for video applications, and they likely are equally reliable.

And of course, as mentioned earlier, many multiformat drives exist (albeit often at higher cost).

What about external DVD recorders?

DVD recorders exist in SCSI and IDE formats. Most external DVD recordable drives are essentially IDE drives with USB 2 or Firewire 1394a bridges and custom housing. These drives can be purchased as complete drives, but one may purchase a standard IDE DVD burner for use in a third party USB 2 or Firewire enclosure. Besides ease of installation, an external drive offers the ability to use a single drive with multiple computers.

Compatibility of external drives is not guaranteed with all software, however.

Can I record DVDs with my laptop?

Yes! Some laptops now include DVD burners as the primary optical drive. If one does not have an internal DVD burner, one may use an external drive, connected to a Firewire or USB 2 port on the laptop. This port can be either built-in or on an add-in PCMCIA adapter card.

How fast can I burn my discs?

The fastest desktop burners (as of September 2003) are 8X for DVD+/-R and 4X for DVD+/-RW. Laptop DVD burners usually have a 2X maximum DVD burn speed.

Can I use a DVD burner to make backups of commercial DVDs?

Making backups of DVDs one does not own or making backups for resale is illegal. However, it may be legal to make backups of one’s own DVDs for personal use. For example, some families may wish to backup children’s DVDs, in order to protect them from damage caused by mishandling.

Many may be familiar with the process of CD backups, which simply involves a direct copy of a CD to a CD-R. Unfortunately, the backup process for DVDs is usually a much more complex process, for a number of reasons.

1. Most DVDs have encryption. In order to backup the video data on a DVD (which is located in the VIDEO_TS folder), one must first decrypt the disc to a computer’s hard drive. Various software exists on various platforms to perform the decryption.
2. Most commercial DVDs utilize dual-layer discs, which can hold more than the 4.7 GB of a single DVD recordable disc. Both layers of dual-layer discs are readable by a DVD player’s laser from one side of the disc. (In contrast, double-sided discs must be flipped over in order for a DVD player to read both sides.) Unfortunately, while double-sided DVD recordable discs do exist, dual-layer DVD recordable discs do not. Thus, in order to backup a dual-layer disc, one must either compress or reencode the video data to fit on a single 4.7 GB DVD, remove various portions of the disc (such as trailers or extra audio tracks), or else split the disc onto two DVDs. Various software is available to perform these functions, and some will allow one to keep all the original menus and titles. Note that if the video is simply extracted and burned to a disc as a video data file, a DVD player will not recognize the disc. In order for a disc to be read in a DVD player, there must be proper formatting of the data within the VIDEO_TS folder.
3. Care must be given to ensure that the burning software is configured properly to create discs for DVD Video. If the burning software is set to wrong type of DVD file system, the disc will not be recognized by standalone DVD players (even if the disc is playable on a computer).

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I know at one time the superdrive did not support DVD-RW, due to the OS. I believe that Panther now supports DVD-RW. I have and external LaCie DVD burner. I can burn DVD-R, DVD+R, and DVD-RW. I cound must likely burn a DVD+RW, but never had a need too.

OP
N

nicholas

Rman - whoa, I had to re-read that post to realize you had taken it off google. I was about to say good lord, that's the longest post i've ever, ever seeN!

OP
N

natey

CDRW work on my computer, and I just have a combo drive. I don't have the super drive, which can record onto DVD drives. I can read Dvd's, watch movies on my computer, even copy them onto my computer, if I really wanted to. I can make Vcds if I really wanted to as well.

With Panther, you have to remeber to go into preferences, click on CD&DVD, and under Blank CD, select "open finder." If you don't, CDRW (for some reason) wont show up (mount) on the screen.

I figured that out when I got some CDRW and I put them in...the cd would spin and spin, but not show up...eventually, I fixed it by changing the default from "ask me" to "open in finder." it works fine now, and I can burn and erase too.

--nate :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it's embarrassing ;-)
Your question of what is the difference between DVD-R and DVD-RW?

That was Great! Answered alot of my ?s, but not the current issue with my iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
it's good to resurrect archives from time to time never know what knowledge lays in wait. rman probably searched for that particular question and he found the answer that HE was searching for.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've got to agree with chas_m, threads that are 6 years old are more than likely OBE. (Overcome By Events) :Angry-Tongue:

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
I've got to agree with chas_m, threads that are 6 years old are more than likely OBE. (Overcome By Events) :Angry-Tongue:

Regards.

yeah but he would've got slammed with "try the search button" this has been asked so many times before" but he actually searched for it and I feel as if he shouldn't be attacked for searching. after all he only has 2 post.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.