So What 2GB RAM has everyone around here been getting?

Reaction score
So, I've read around, and have seen what people are buying, but what seems to be the best 2GB (2*1GB) RAM for the Macbook for the best price? My budget calls for something under 90 dollars (Is that enough?).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2Ghz C2D, 2GB ram
I wasted my money on apple ram.... BIG mistake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
This is the one I have gotten for myself and recommend to everyone else:

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB)

When you add in shipping, it comes out to $84.98, just under your budget of $90 :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
This is the one I have gotten for myself and recommend to everyone else:

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB)

When you add in shipping, it comes out to $84.98, just under your budget of $90 :)

same thing here.... amazing price difference though. i bought my sticks for 99$ each 7months ago

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz C2D MacBook 2GB RAM 80GB HD
I got 2GB (1GBx2) of the Kingstons about 3 weeks ago for $99 with a $10 rebate. Needless to say I never managed to send the rebate in. At least shipping was free.

Reaction score
I got mine from Apple. I've heard it's best to waste money when you're young so that you get the pleasure of working many years past your expected retirement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
don't get ocz.... on xbench the results arent much better than the stock 512 ram rom apple....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Macbooks come with two RAM slots. Most likely you have two sticks of 256MB, so you'll have to take one out to put in your new 1GB stick. So you'll have 1.25GB of RAM in total if you decide to leave in one stick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - Intel Duo 2
The Macbooks come with two RAM slots. Most likely you have two sticks of 256MB, so you'll have to take one out to put in your new 1GB stick. So you'll have 1.25GB of RAM in total if you decide to leave in one stick.

Appled wesbite says i shouldnt run with uneven ram...Any thoughts? Would it be better if i just ran on the 1 gb ram vs the 1 gb and the 256 mb?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It has to do with the dual channel issue. To tell you the truth, there's really no benefit to running memory in dual channel mode compared to single channel. All the benefits people spout are from synthetic benchmarks, which don't translate into real world benefits.

You could always give both scenarios a try. Run it with 1.25GB and if you seem to be having some stability issues, yank one stick out and run it as 1GB. Though I should warn you, getting a "feel" for stability isn't an objective test. What's most likely going to happen is that you'll "feel" as though one way is more stable when in reality both are working exactly the same. In my personal opinion, stick with 1.25GB until you decide to upgrade to 2GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 120GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 15" widescreen... pretty basic.
Kash recommended the G Skill RAM, so I ordered it from Newegg. I would highly recommend it. Shipping was quick and painless and the installation was relatively simple. I rarely ever shut my computer down, but for the two or three times I did shut it down, I noticed it started up much quicker with 2GB of RAM. Programs don't bog down so much anymore and my processor runs, on average, 2 to 3 degrees cooler than usual.

Of course, the gain was instantly noticeable going from 512mb to 2GB, and I'm sure gains would be noticed even with upgrading to 1,024mb.

Edit: At the price I paid ($90 with fast shipping), I'd say the 2GB purchase would be prudent.

mi6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Core 2 Duo 2gig ram
just picked up patriot 2gb dual channel for $86.47 at frys....
good deal for me....

Reaction score
I have had my 2g G Skill Ram for about a year now. Works grate. Instant improvement on performance, totally worth the money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Crucial has fantastic pricing on their RAM right now. I would definitely look their way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
will this work? im gonna max out my ram. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145172
Any other suggestions for a single 2gb stick that works well with my mac?

Well, for starters, you might want to get one that's in stock :p

Anyway, I did a quick search at Newegg, and I personally think that you would be better off getting this instead of the one you linked to:

G.SKILL 2GB

tru2life, I didn't really check my temps before the upgrade, but it doesn't seem to be running any hotter than before the upgrade. The Battery Update caused more heat than the RAM upgrade did (now that I've replaced the battery, it's running nice and cool again)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.