Oh Genius Bar...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Poor lappy...

I took my macbook to the Genius bar on Tuesday with the following issues:

1) Bluetooth is "Not Available." Example: Icon has a squiggly line through it and reports "No information available" when checking bluetooth in the system profiler.

2) Screen flickers again. Had my macbook sent to service one other time for the same issue, the replaced the inverter and the problem was rectified. A few months later and it is back.

3) Macbook doesn't sleep! I hate waiting for shutdown/restart when I only want to move from upstairs to downstairs. My lappy will turn off for a moment as though it is going to sleep, just to wake right back up a moment later.

4) CPU Whine. The Genius had not heard of this, but I certainly have heard it (hahaha). Just type CPU Whine into google and you will find what I am talking about.

It's funny, the day that I took it to the store, all of these problems disappeared but I went anyway. No problems could be duplicated at the bar, so I left it with them. Today I received a call that it was done and drove all the way there immediately because I've been in such a state of emptiness without the lappy. The Genius reported to me that the bluetooth issue had been observed, so they replaced the logic board (no C2D though :(). No other issues were seen once the board was replaced, so they stopped there. Sounds good. I anxiously wanted to turn it on and test it, but the battery was completely drained. Fine, I thought.

Took it home, plugged it in, Magsafe light stays green. I'm still not panicking as I remember that it may take a few minutes for a battery to come out of deep hibernation if it has been drained. Several hours go by and the battery is still not charging, it shows up as an x on the menu bar. The CPU Whine has again appeared :(. Now, however, the macbook does sleep, but only if I select sleep from the apple menu. If I close my lid, the screen stays lit, the front light does not come on, and the machine continues to run. I assume that the tech simply did not hook the sensor up, no big deal.

The battery and CPU Whine, BIG DEAL.

Applecare told me (after arguing with me that I should buy the extended warranty for 10 minutes, my one year runs out in three months) that since I was not satisfied with my repair from the store, I must make the 30 minute trip back to Atlantic City, pay my $20 to park, and give it back to them for more work. Just send me a box :'(

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
dude, more issues?

is there a lemon law for electronics? seriously, at this point they just need to hand you a fresh one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
After looking at your avatar I wouldn't give it back to unless I could fix it.

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't really need a new one eric (I wouldn't say no though :Smirk:). I feel like whenever my macbook goes to service, they don't really bother reading the entire list of issues and, after fixing the top one, close up shop. I will take my lappy back to the Atlantic City store, but I will ask that it be sent out so that I don't have to make another trip into that nest of vipers (not the store, the city). I just want someone to honestly sit down and observe.

On a side note, this gentlemen has apparently had a long journey about the CPU Whining issue which was ultimately solved by receiving a new MBP with a new rev motherboard.

Maddog, on a serious level, I would never hurt anyone because my computer wasn't being fixed. On a joking level, the geniouses at the Atlantic City Apple Store are just lucky that NJ does not permit me to carry my Glock around ;D .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
where do you live in NJ, If you happen to be between short hills and atlantic city and drive down there for service, you may want to go the other direction, I have always been happy with the folks at the short hills store.

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just realized, since my macbook believes that there is no battery plugged in, that means that I am running at a reduced processing speed to keep the machine safe from drawing more power than the adapter can supply.

Hurray! :Grimmace:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
and don't accidentally yank the cord. right now, magsafe is not your friend.

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At least it isn't exploding/combusting/melting... :D

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
or cracking. don't forget cracking. ;)

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As long as Apple takes care of it, I could care less if my magsafe adapter unplugged itself, did a song and dance, and then bolted out of the room ultimately to escape to Tijuana or someplace like that.

Hmm, on that note, it must be time for bed. Good evening everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
How many repairs have you had on the computer? There is no written rule, but after about 4 repairs they will replace your computer if you call and talk to a customer service supervisor. I had my computer repaired 5 times in a month, 6 repairs total on it, and I called and told them every detail of what happened and they sent me a brand new macbook pro.

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I'm not at four yet. Taking my macbook back today will equal three repairs so, who knows if there will be any more issues. It's important that that CPU Whine thing (has anyone besides me experienced this here on mf?) shows up while I'm standing there in the store, if not, and it comes back later, there will be a 4th "repair".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
with the sleep thing

check under system prefs to see if there is an option like 'when i close the lid do this...'

could work ?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Well, I'm not at four yet. Taking my macbook back today will equal three repairs so, who knows if there will be any more issues. It's important that that CPU Whine thing (has anyone besides me experienced this here on mf?) shows up while I'm standing there in the store, if not, and it comes back later, there will be a 4th "repair".

Well hopefully it will get fixed and you wont need a 4th repair, but if you do just remember to give them a call when you have had the 4th if the computer isnt fixed. Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
yh dont give up hope.

it will be fixed but be patient.

- its a good thing that it has happened now and not after the warrenty is gone.

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That option about "when I close the lid of my computer..." exists in the power settings on a windows machine :(

I know that it will be fixed. I'm still holding the extended warranty card though ("Ok, I'll buy the next two years of insurance if you give me a new one :)")

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I dropped it off on Sunday (I'm up to $30 dollars for this support issue's parking costs. Go figure, it's Atlantic City). I was welcomed with a "What is it THIS time?" from the genius (friendly sarcasm, I've been in there enough). I gave them the new list of problems and asked that it be sent out so that I wouldn't have to drive there anymore. Here's to waiting. On a funny note, this is always good to see when checking on your repair status:

fdsa.jpg

???en_US.repair.type to you too Apple :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
maybe they lost your macbook :)

sorry for your troubles, we've all been there, just be glad its not with a 25k$ car.

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The site has been corrected. Now my machine is just reported as "Pending shipment to the repair center". :Grimmace:

If anyone just "lost" my car, you're right, it'd be a little more serious.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.