My Idea... Please Read VISIO PICS included

Reaction score
Ok, I wanted to work on some sort of an original (Im sure its been done before - but I mean something thats new to me) project.

Picture this:

I send you a link in an email from within my organisation... or maybe even a personal email saying "Hi, Im currently updating my contacts can you please click the link below to verify your details?" Hotmail is just an example. Maybe I could apply this to several Mail solutions in one step?:)

M.jpg

If you cant read that image clearly you can see it on this link http://www.gliffy.com/publish/1229568/

So.... I think the diagram speaks for itself.

Can anyone guide me a little more with it?

The main problems for me:

Accessing the HOTMAIL contacts (Hotmail is just an example... I would apply it to different webmail solutions) to get the info in there.

Sync to PDA/Cell Phone.

Im sure this isnt rocket science... but it is something that I want to learn.

Anyone want to advise or maybe even work on it with me?

Im open to comment - good, bad or indifferent.;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
not a clue.. sorry. Don't bump threads.. especially this close to each other. People who know the answer may not be online at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
What is it you're trying to do though?

I have seen automated requests for people to fill in their details and return them to the sender, but only in the 'bounce' bin of our mailfilter.

Unless I've misunderstood what you're doing, it'll get picked up and binned by just about every half decent mail system on the planet.

OP
I
Reaction score
Ok... i want to have a link that I can send to a friend where they can ONLY enter info.

They can enter their contact details into the database using the forms on the site.

This info goes to the database and generates a .CSV file (or whatever file that is needed) to get it into HOTMAIL. - So in general it updates my Hotmail contacts.

Then the CSV file can by sent to the PDA/CELLPHONE.

On the other hand... there will be a seperate set of rules for me... (the primary user).... I different web front where I can enter, move, delete and edit info in the mySQL DB..... ( I would be happy if I would just Query it even)

Does that clarify it anymore for you?

I just really want to work on an idea of my own. For fun and education more than anything else. Maybe get a few people in on it.

Do you think that it would work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Well I think you need to break it up into each piece of the project, rather than try and look at it as a whole. For example, here are some of the broad pieces you need to work on separately:

1. Front end for user to enter data into database
2. Front end for administration (by you)
3. Back end processing for catching changes, determining when to generate the CSV file, and then actually creating the file. This could actually be skipped if you want to just make it a manual process (i.e. a button in the admin section) that you do in the administration section.
4. Process that syncs with a PDA.

The first two steps are straightforward enough. Build some forms, some error checking, tables, etc. Importing the contacts depends on the mail program you use and what it will accept. Multiple formats may be best, but CSV is pretty common. As for syncing with a PDA, I know nothing about that, except that most will sync with a mail program, although probably not webmail, but I really don't know.

OP
I
Reaction score
cheers for the feedback! I appreciate it. Thats a good idea. I never thought about it like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
np.. hope it helps in some way. =)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.