Upgrading R.A.M

Reaction score
Hiya,

I'm wanting to upgrade the R.A.M on my 2GH 20inch Intel Core Duo. There's already 1GB in it so I'm gonna install another 1GB in the other slot.

The thing is I'm cautious of the warranty (about a year left). I don't want to make myself illegite if I muck it all up.

What do you think? Should I just leave it and be content with my sufficent 1GB or will I go 4 it? The instructions make it look easy and risk free but is it?

I'm considering this stick from http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=88D81CC7A5CA7304 .

I'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks in anticipation,

beattie41 :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Welcome to the forums... Upgrading the RAM will NOT void your warranty...

The 1GB of RAM you currently have (if it is stock from Apple) is actually TWO sticks, each with 512MB... For you to get to 2GB of RAM, you will need TWO 1GB sticks (you could get one 2GB stick, but it's really expensive), and install them, one per slot.

OP
B
Reaction score
R.a.m

When I look at the memory details in system profiler it says there's an empty slot: BANK 1/DIMM1 EMPTY; the other slot has 1GB in it. So is there an available slot left?

So, if i upgrade R.A.M by myself at home and not by an approved apple technician this will not void my warranty? (Just to be 100% sure)

Is it quite risky making this installation?

Thanks, appreciate it.

beattie41:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
RIDE is correct, you will need two 1GB sticks in order to get 2GB of RAM. So you'll need this set instead of what you linked to

Edit: Just read your post. Did you buy the iMac new or refurbished? It's odd that you have a single stick in there because it's supposed to come with two. Could you open up the RAM slot in the back and check and see whether there are two RAM sticks or one?

As for the installation, it's really easy. If it turns out you have two sticks, then all you do is take them out and pop in the new ones. If you only have one, then you just throw in the new one and you're good to go

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
When I look at the memory details in system profiler it says there's an empty slot: BANK 1/DIMM1 EMPTY; the other slot has 1GB in it. So is there an available slot left?

Apparently there is.. did you buy it from Apple?

No.. it will NOT void your warranty... Here is a link to Apple's own website showing you step-by-step how to do it yourself.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303084

Upgrading the RAM isn't "risky", just following the directions, it is really straight forward.

OP
B
Reaction score
Yeah, I bought it from Apple Online Store UK. When configuring it, I think I choose 1GB RAM X1 instead of 1GB RAM X2. (It bought it last August so I can't really remember). Is this even possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
When the default amount of RAM in an iMac was 512 MB, an upgrade on the online Apple store let you choose 2x512 MB or 1x1 GB. Don't know why, but since the default is one gig of RAM, Apple gives you 2x512 MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Yeah, I bought it from Apple Online Store UK. When configuring it, I think I choose 1GB RAM X1 instead of 1GB RAM X2. (It bought it last August so I can't really remember). Is this even possible.

KUDO's to you.. you saved your self a bit of money on accident.

OP
B
Reaction score
Cool... so there is an empty slot and I can go ahead and make the installation!

But just before I do... is it worth £30 ($60)... will it speed my computer up by much when running several applications i.e. will i notice the improved performance?

Cheers guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
It depends on what you are doing with your iMac now... If you are not maxing out the capability of 1 GB, then no, you won't notice a difference with 2 GB. One thing is for sure though, it certainly won't slow anything down. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.