Why has OSX slowed down my 3d graphics?

M

mushyosh

Powerbook Titanium g4 500Mhz Jaguar 10.2.8

WHen using 3d programs in OS 9, it ran fine. SOmething like 3d studio, or quake, would run smoothly enough.

But now that I am in OSX, the 3d graphics have slowed down enormously. IS there an explanation for this? DO i need to download a driver or something?

Please help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
This appears to be a RAM issue - how much are you running?

OP
M

mushyosh

Ive got loads of RAM. 768 MB of RAM to be exact.

The thing that gets me is that it all ran fine in OS9. SO it has to be something to do with OS X. I have looked on the apple website but cant find any sort of driver to download.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Have you tried repair permissions and kept up with crons/Mac Janitor?

OP
M

mushyosh

I have no idea what those things are! could you fill me in? (sorry for being dumb)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions. Also make sure you run cron tasks Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed

OP
N

nicholas

It probably wouldn't hurt to purchase and use Disk Warrior 3.0 and Norton Systemworks 2003/4's Disk Rebuild, Disk Doctor, and Speed Disk, respectively.

OP
T

TylerMoney

hmm..well, I don't know....mine works fine...I have a 1ghz though....that could be it?..who knows...it's really shouldn't be slowing it down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Not to burst whiteshark's bubble but there's absolutely no way that crons and permission repairs are going to help you with this problem.

The fact is (and Google for this if you want more info), Jaguar is considerably slower than OS 9, and had some serious driver issues with video cards, which basically determine your framerate. Do a fresh install of Panther (10.3.3) and then check for any video card driver upgrades. Also make sure you do all of the system updates in the Apple menu.

Do all of that, and you should be cruisin' back up to your old speed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.