Dilemma: new 14" iBook or new 15" Powerbook

K

kmaresca

I’m glad I found this forum; hopefully someone can give me some guidance regarding my “dilemma”:

I’m a 27-yo soon-to-be grad student; I’ll be getting my MA in International Affairs. For several reasons, I have recently begun considering from a PC to a Mac. My dilemma arose when I started comparing the new 15-in Powerbook (upgraded to 512 MB of RAM) and the new high-end 14” iBook (also upgraded to 512 MB RAM). I will have about $2000 (maybe a couple hundred more) to play with, but I will need to purchase MS Office for the Mac OSX platform (with a student discount, this will run me $150 - $200). Apple provides a $100 student discount on the computer. Both computer systems have ‘similar’, but not identical, specs.

I will be using the computer for the basic student apps, such as creating documents, spreadsheets, presentations, etc. There is a chance that I’ll need to run a statistics application as well. I don’t play games on my computers, but I will be downloading mp3s, playing around with digital photo applications, and using GarageBand. My question is this: is it worth the extra money (anything in excess of $2000 will be out of my own pocket; my generous parents are providing the first $2000) to purchase a 15” Powerbook, or will an iBook (when upgraded with additional RAM) serve me well?

One last question: does the Powerbook come with all of the standard Apple applications (iLife, iPhoto, Safari, etc)?

Any insight would be helpful. I don’t want to pay a lot of money for a system that is truly overkill, but I also don’t want to find myself in a position where my computer simply doesn’t meet the needs of something like a stats program. Thanks in advance!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
For your requirements I would go with the iBook. I would look at the 12in if you don't need the larger screen, but that is me. From what you are describing you will not need the PowerBook, unless you are going to do something later tha is compute intensive.

As for the software load, they are different on each system. Both will have the same OS, both may have the iLife apps, and both will have safari. The iBook will most likely to have Appleworks, quicken and a few other applications that will not show up on the PowerBook.

As for M$ Office 2004, depending on what school you attend you maybe able to get it cheaper. An example is at CSULB, they have a site license with M$. So I was able to get M$ Office X for $20, with my wife student discount.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Also the 12in iBook fits in a back pack better.

OP
I

ianlee77

sounds like iBook will suit your need. i recommend adding superdrive since you'll get an internal dvd burner that can run iDVD. External drives cannot burn w/ iDVD.

OP
S

StealthMode

I'd recomend the 12in iBook as well, the image is sharper as well on the 12in vs the 14in. They both use 1024x768 for a max resolution, so the 12in will be sharper. Someone back me up on this, especially since I read that here :p
I personally have a 15in PowerBook, it's an awsome machine, but overkill for what you want it seems.

Stealth -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I always try the 12s in the store and I'm always happy with it. When it's time to get a iBook - Powerbook that's the one I think I'm getting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Also make a note that iBook ships with iLife (which includes Garageband). Powerbooks don't have Garageband.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
My Powerbook came with Garageband and the rest of the iLife suite.

OP
L

lzasitko

iLife

Strider said:
Also make a note that iBook ships with iLife (which includes Garageband). Powerbooks don't have Garageband.

iLife and Garageband come installed on ALL new iBooks or PowerBooks. Mine did!

Larry Zasitko

OP
M

MacHat

I have a 15" powerbook and it's probably overkill for what you need one for. You may consider a 12" ibook or powerbook. My friend has a 12" ibook and just sticks it in his backpack w/ his books... never had a problem with it(I would not suggest this!). So they are pretty tuff. You can probably get a student copy of Office for alot less than 150$ through your school... check with the bookstore!

OP
T

TylerMoney

Strider said:

I do beleive all new macintosh computers come with iLife, including garageband....and I am 100% sure the powerbooks do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.