• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Missing the icon preview for Movies? Solution here!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a recent Mac convert (about 3 months). I like everything about Mac OSX - everything but one thing: there are no previews in icon view for movie files. I have over 1000 home videos taken with various digital cameras over the years (*.avi, *.mpg, *.wmv) and it is next to impossible to find the movie I am looking for. Sure, I have them in folders by year and then subfolders by quarter but I have 50-100 movies in some of these folders.

I just found this great app: http://www.stalkingwolf.net/software/cocothumbx/#about

You just drag your folders onto this app and it will automatically change your icons to a preview of your movie.

Try it out! It works with PDF, doc, xls and more! It is donation ware. I have no affiliation with it.

Here is hoping that Leopard includes this feature!!!! Apple please!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually if you're in column view mode, you can view movie previews in the Finder:

finderpreview.png

Apple has also announced "Quick look" to improve this area:

Quick on the draw
Sometimes you just don’t want to wait. That’s why Leopard introduces Quick Look, a new way to preview a document, picture, or slideshow in a single click, without opening an application. Select a search result and Quick Look displays the result — an iPhoto snapshot, a PDF, an Address Book contact — in a graphic overlay. Quick Look even plays your QuickTime movies, right in the preview window.

OP
D
Reaction score
I see the lack of icon preview in the icon view mode as a huge limitation in OSX. We have 1000's of videos of our kids, I like to open up a year folder and then be able to view the movie icons just like I would a picture icon to hone in on which one I want to view. Column view is useless when I have 100+ videos. I would have to click on each one to find the one I am looking for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.