Obsolete RAM?

A

artmusic247

Aloha,

I just upgraded my PB to 1Gig of RAM. Now I have two 256MB cards that are just sitting around. Is there anyway I can make use of these cards?

Thanks, Dean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
artmusic247 said:
Aloha,

I just upgraded my PB to 1Gig of RAM. Now I have two 256MB cards that are just sitting around. Is there anyway I can make use of these cards?

Thanks, Dean.

eBay?

OP
A

artmusic247

At first I thought of ebay but they seem to be going for about $10 each. I'll check out the craigslist.org. I was hoping there was a way to use them like flash RAM or something.

Thanks, Dean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
artmusic247 said:
At first I thought of ebay but they seem to be going for about $10 each. I'll check out the craigslist.org. I was hoping there was a way to use them like flash RAM or something.

Thanks, Dean.

Ohhh, I see what you mean now. I'm not sure what else you could use them for, but since they do sell for so little, you might want to save them incase you ever need them for another machine.

OP
N

nicholas

Problem is unless the machine is similar in spec, it won't work. I'm sure there would be alot of people willing to pay $20-$50 for extra Apple brand RAM. These would be the people who don't need mondo RAM to play games, but just to give their comp a little extra juice. And considering how much Apple brand memory is, $20-$50 is a deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
I also have the same dilemna. I need to figure out what I'm going to do w/ my extra ram before i upgrade. Just can't really justify having some expensive ram sitting around the house.

EY

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nicholas said:
Problem is unless the machine is similar in spec, it won't work. I'm sure there would be alot of people willing to pay $20-$50 for extra Apple brand RAM. These would be the people who don't need mondo RAM to play games, but just to give their comp a little extra juice. And considering how much Apple brand memory is, $20-$50 is a deal.

Apple's RAM is third-party anyway though, so there really isn't anything special about it that would make it worth more than, say Kingston or Crucial, unless the buyer simply didn't know any better. There are probably a number of machines that are compatible with that particular memory (both PC and Mac), but if you could get a buyer to pay enough for it without misleading them, that might be an option. I've kept the 128 MB chip from my machine just because it isn't worth it for me to sell it.

OP
A

artmusic247

Well, I've decided to keep the RAM. Really someone should design a kit that allows RAM cards to be used as flash memory or something.

Dean.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.