Bootcamp / Parallels and OEM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
Just wondered if anyone had come across this and why it might be happening?

I installed Windows XP under Bootcamp using an OEM license and authorised it. Everything is fine, I can download all updates etc etc

I then install Parallels and tell it to use the Bootcamp partition, start up Windows and it tells me I need to re-authorise Windows but of course when I do that it tells me I've exceeded the number of authorisations for that license as it's OEM and can only be installed on one computer.

If I boot into Windows using Bootcamp everything is back to normal again. So basically I can't use Parallels unless I went out and bought a non OEM license and re-installed it all (no way am I spending out anymore money on that dreadful OS!!).

So, what is Parallels doing that makes Windows think that there has been enough hardware changes to require re-authorisation? I assume that there isn't a way around this (other than the buying off a non OEM license).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Only solution is to activate by telephone, talk to a microsoft rep and explain to them it is one machine with just two ways of loading windows.

THe problem is is that XP in boot camp sees your computer exactly as you configured your mac, XP in parallels sees the computer as all virtual components, not what is built into your computer

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Only solution is to activate by telephone, talk to a microsoft rep and explain to them it is one machine with just two ways of loading windows.

THe problem is is that XP in boot camp sees your computer exactly as you configured your mac, XP in parallels sees the computer as all virtual components, not what is built into your computer

You might consider setting up two different hardware profiles in Windows - call one "Parallels" and call the other "Bootcamp", then set Windows to prompt you to choose at startup. This will keep Plug and Play from constantly adding/removing hardware. I'm not sure how Microsoft handles product activation in that scenario, but we've used it with great success with our laptops that connect to docking stations at work (in cases where we wanted to turn off the wireless card, enable the on-board NIC, etc). Admittedly, that's a volume (corporate) license and activation is not necessary, but it might be something to try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
All sorted - a few reboots did the trick (of OSX) and all is well!

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
Cheers everyone.

Adam, what do you mean 'All Sorted'? Did you have the same problem or have you just posted in the wrong thread?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.