Newbie: Downloading apps to desktop

Reaction score
So, I have been using PC's for over a decade and I finally switched to an imac a few days ago...

I recently downloaded MoZilla Firefox and I got two files on my desktop. Mozilla and some other kind of weird file that I don't think I even need (what is this?) In the past, for PC's the file downloaded is usually a setup file. In this case, there was no install when I clicked on the downloaded file. It seemed to work right away. When I try to move the file to 'applications' it does not let me do it. Do I have to leave this on the desktop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
You can leave it on the desktop, but you should really store it in /Applications.
If the program is running, quit it. Then try to move the icon.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I believe I closed it and tried to move it, but it restricted me for some reason. When I get home, I can post the exact message it gave me. So there are no installs for mac programs??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The file you downloaded was a .dmg file. It is a white file with a hard drive icon. When you open that file it expands it to a Disk Image (Looks like a white hard drive on your desktop) inside of that disk image you will see the Mozilla Firefox application. Drag the application to your Applications folder. Once that is dragged over you can eject the disk image by dragging it to the trash, and trash the .dmg file you downloaded

OP
Z
Reaction score
i see... .DMG file that is correct... thanks for the help.. i'm definitely learning a lot everyday...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.