• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

world of warcraft?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2.0ghz, 2GB ram, 80 Gig HD
whats the big deal with this game? i bought it yesterday and to be honest its a bit boring. all i seem to do is get pointless quests to kill a few zombies, then when its done i get a bit of clothing.

am i missing the big picture?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
whats the big deal with this game? i bought it yesterday and to be honest its a bit boring. all i seem to do is get pointless quests to kill a few zombies, then when its done i get a bit of clothing.

Yes. Level 20+ PVP

Grouping, everything else.

Plus if you're playing something like a druid, that could be why :D

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't get it either. I got upto maybe a Level 14 Human Rogue and the repetitiveness of the quests and such got to me. I even had my good friend, a Level 44 Priest helping me out a lot and I just didn't see what was so great about it either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
i personally have never actually played the game, but it looks completely boring. It takes no skill, you push "attack" or w/e and the computer does it for you. Personally, if you want to play a fighting game, play something that takes some amount of skill like halo or medal of honor. World of Warcraft = Joke...

Reaction score
^ YES. That was what surprised me, I'd been recommended by many friends saying I'd be "good" at it and how they'd learnt so much, so proud of this character, that character, how there were some awesome elite players on WoW and when I tried it, there was no skill involved. The computer fights for me and I just sit and watch my dude stab at wolves and occasionally I get to line up a few special moves but that's it. Reminded me of Final Fantasy with the battle methodology but FF was far superior.

I was also amused at the "quests". Kill 15 wolves and take the meat to Polly, Polly makes the pie can you give it to Fred, Fred eats the pie oh here's a scroll give it to Mark, Mark doesn't want the scroll but gives you a rock to take to Polly, who gives you another pie to give to Fred. Stupid.

I know that was the basis of a very, very, VERY early quest, of course. But yeah. Blah.

M

Matteh117

i personally have never actually played the game, but it looks completely boring. It takes no skill, you push "attack" or w/e and the computer does it for you. Personally, if you want to play a fighting game, play something that takes some amount of skill like halo or medal of honor. World of Warcraft = Joke...

Except one thing - those games are FPS and WoW is a MMORPG. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Except one thing - those games are FPS and WoW is a MMORPG. ;)

Exactly, I cant stand RPG games, they take little to no skill and to me, are very boring... Obviously alot of people enjoy them or there would be no target market for this type of game, but I really dont understand why people like them...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

everyone gets into different things. what one person finds boring the next may love it..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
everyone gets into different things. what one person finds boring the next may love it..

very, very true... heck, many people probably think reading and posting on the many different forums that "we" all venture to throughout the day is boring, but obviously we all enjoy it... As I said though, I dont find the game enjoyable, nor do i see how anyone can, but in a sense contradicting myself with the forum statement ^^ above...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Exactly, I cant stand RPG games, they take little to no skill and to me, are very boring... Obviously alot of people enjoy them or there would be no target market for this type of game, but I really dont understand why people like them...

Just run into a pvp arena and see if you can last more than 10 seconds. That will show you what skill is involved.

Or try and arrange 20 people for a raid to kill on of the baddest bosses in the game...strategy and skill involved there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
Just run into a pvp arena and see if you can last more than 10 seconds. That will show you what skill is involved.

Or try and arrange 20 people for a raid to kill on of the baddest bosses in the game...strategy and skill involved there.
That's the meat of the game,for sure - the PvP and groups, guilds, etc. There's a reason the genre contains the words Massive MULTIPLAYER... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD
I am installing the game right now on my brand new macbookpro. I cant wait to try this out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
I started playing WoW since release. And I have to admit, it didn't 'wow' me. I mean it was fun doing raids and battlegrounds for a bit... but it just got tedious. I quit and re-subscribed several times. The reason why I keep coming back is because of the community. The guild I'm in is actually a pretty chill one. And I know many of the members personally. To be honest, I spend a good amount of money playing WoW because... I don't really play it much. I kinda use it like an instant message with a GUI on steroids. But I don't mind, cause its fun for me to act like a fool (thats why I do it all the time).

Unfortunately... since I only have Macs now... the only game I can play is like... WoW... until I get a *cough*legit*cough* copy of Windows Xp... thats what I'm stuck with.

Plus the way I see it... the game has to have some sort of appeal if 6+ million people are willing to dish out 15 bucks a month for this instant messaging service with a GUI on steroids. :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
The skill involved is being able to sit at your computer for weeks and months until u hit level 70 and kill ne thing. Thats not skill, thats just a waste of time.

Reaction score
My Girlfriend got if about two weeks ago and she has become totally addicted to it! Spending every spare hour playing it! Its unbelievable!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
It definitely can be addictive, but I agree that you won't really "get" it unless you join up with other people. Join a guild or go on party raids. That's when it gets fun.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.