Any difference in Cinema Displays based on age?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
I'm looking at getting a 23" Cinema Display to go with my Macbook. Are there any differences in say a display produced last month vs. one produced 1.5 years ago? Any component upgrades or the like that would make buying an older display not a good idea? Thanks for any information you might have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yes, the 23 & 30" displays received a "silent upgrade" late 2005, along with a price drop:

The specs on the 23" went from:

Brightness: 270cd
Contrast: 400:1

to

Brightness: 400cd
Contrast: 700:1

So there would be quite a noticeable difference...

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
Thank you! That is the exact kind of information I was looking for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It's hard to believe they haven't come out with built-in iSight or additional ports like Dell. Honestly, I'm amazed when I see a person has bought one. The Dell Ultrasharps have the exact same LCD screen, (and I mean same maker, not just same specs) plus more available ports at a lower cost.

I think we should see Steve announcing new LCDs with more ports and iSight at WWDC, but that's a conversation for the rumors thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I don't know if that is true in real world usage. My friend has a Dell and an Apple side by side, because he could not afford another apple when he went to get a new screen, and you can see the difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I honestly don't know how unless the computers they were attached to had different video cards or different display settings.

I've read quite a few reviews from reputable tech reviewers. None have found any appreciable difference in the display. One even busted open each one and the only differences he found was the additional hardware in the Dell for the ports.

Even if you could see the smallest difference, is it worth $300?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
probably not, but i went with all apple displays to keep everything matching. If I had to do it now I might go with dells, (i just bough a apple display yesterday, but if i had to buy all new stuff) because I hear they are the same and I kinda like the black look.

Reaction score
I'm waiting to see if they release a new cinema display @ WWDC. There have been price drops on apple's site so I guess I'll have to be patient. I really want a 30" badly. :eek:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.