Bluetooth Menubar status icon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I was out in the world hanging out at this grocery store that has a cafe which provides free wireless internet while my wife was shopping today, so I brought my Macbook so I'd have something to do while my wife was shopping. Since I was using the trackpad and didn't need to use my bluetooth Mighty Mouse I figured I'd turn off bluetooth to save a bit of battery, and I noticed that the bluetooth icon wasn't in my menubar. I was sure that I had enabled that, so I went to System Preferences for bluetooth and saw that 'Show Status in Menu Bar' was checked, but no icon. Unchecked it, checked it again, no dice. So I turned off bluetooth from the pane and moved on.

When I got home I decided that a reboot was probably a good idea, since my Macbook had been up for a bit over 8 days. After the restart, my bluetooth icon returned to the menubar, but has anyone else noted a disappearing menubar icon with their Macbooks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Mine is still there, and my Macbook hasn't been restarted in 7 days

OP
walkerj
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Oh jeez, I think I'll just stick to responding helpfully to other threads. I can't seem to get the hang of starting threads in the right forum. If it happens again I'll just invoke my Applecare support.

Reaction score
Oh jeez, I think I'll just stick to responding helpfully to other threads. I can't seem to get the hang of starting threads in the right forum. If it happens again I'll just invoke my Applecare support.

Don't think like that walkerj ... it's just that this is a Hardware section and BlueTooth is Software. Any BlueTooth device would be regarded as a peripheral. You'll get the hang of it ... just spare a thought for the mods who have to move a plethora of misplaced threads each and every day.

Reaction score
wow, they sure are friendly around here!

:(
I agree do not get discouraged from posting your questions and being a part of this great forums. I am new to this forum and Mac's my self and this place has been invaluable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.