About to buy a macbook but mid vs low model?

Reaction score
So im going to buy a macbook in the next few days. My burning question is should i spring for the 2.16 ghz midrange model, or would i be completely satisfied with the low end model? The superdrive seemed nice at first, but i think i can just pop on my old pc if i want to burn a dvd or something (very rare occurance). and between 80 and 120gb, its just a laptop, so i dont need to have EVERYTHING in the world with me, and external HDs are cheap. As i type this, i find myself wanting to save 200$ since i dont think there will be hardly any noticable difference. Could one really tell between 2.16 and 2.0 ghz? I dont want to be dissapointed i didnt get the step up, but at the same time i wonder if id even notice?!

One last question, is there any advantage between buyign it online vs at say my bookstore? Tax anbd everything the same at both? I doubt my bookstoer would have the updated models, or would it?

Thanks a ton!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Welcome to the forums...

As long as you don't think you'll really need the Super-Drive, I would definately go for the 2.0GHz model if I were you... Use the money you saved, and buy the extended AppleCare warranty.... it would be under warranty with telephone support until May of 2010!!! :D just my $0.02

Two days ago the 2.0GHz WAS the "Mid-Range" Macbook...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Could one really tell between 2.16 and 2.0 ghz?

You wouldn't notice anything. You're talking a 2 or 3% difference in speed.

OP
J
Reaction score
yeah, im pretty sure ill buy the 2.0 ghz model tonight. I have spent so long looking and waiting, i think i am finally conent with a choice! thanks a lot, and i look forward to spending more time here :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.