MacBook Pro Electricity!!!

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I recently got a Macbook Pro 15" as a present.

I've noticed that while plugged in for charging the MacBook has electricity, yes, electricity running through the metal parts of its casing. This is very strange (and probably very dangerous).

When I run my hands over the metal casing I can feel small electrical vibrations.

What can I do to resolve this problem? I only got it a few days ago.
Will the warrenty still be valid as I do not have the reciept.

Thanks in advance,

mas123

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
What can I do to resolve this problem? I only got it a few days ago. Will the warrenty still be valid as I do not have the reciept.

On the bottom of this page http://www.apple.com/support/ where it says "About your support coverage" type in the serial number of your Mac and that will let you know when exactly it was purchased, and how much time your warranty has remaining. You don't need the receipt...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Are you using the 3 prong attachment to the power "brick". If you're only using the 2 prong, that's your problem. The three prong is properly grounded and you should not have the problem afterwards. I don't know why apple ships it with the two prong. Even it it's only a very little bit, they could probably get in trouble for sending something that's known to cause electrical shocks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I use the two-prong without any problems. I find it easier to just take half the cord with me to school than lugging the entire thing around. Though most of the time it's plugged it I use the full length of the cable.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replys.

I'm not sure about the termonoligy being used i.e 3 or 2 prong, but basically I'm using the charger without the heavy cabling if that makes sense.

I will try with the heavy cabling and see if that solves the problem.

Regarding the warrenty, as I recieved this as a present I have not got the receipt, can I still claim the warrenty?

Thanks in advance,

mas123

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I think I know what you're talking about. When I got mine new and ran my fingers over it, I felt a kind of vibration. I didn't think it was electricity, but something to do with the fine texture of the aluminum casing. Does it feel that way when you have it unplugged or turned off?

Regardless, no matter what plug you're using, there shouldn't be any electricity running through your casing! That's just crazy. Take the thing into a store for servicing. There shouldn't be anything attached to the casing to do that. The only reason I can think the case would have a current running through it is if there's an exposed wire inside touching it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replys.

I'm not sure about the termonoligy being used i.e 3 or 2 prong, but basically I'm using the charger without the heavy cabling if that makes sense.

I will try with the heavy cabling and see if that solves the problem.

Regarding the warrenty, as I recieved this as a present I have not got the receipt, can I still claim the warrenty?

Thanks in advance,

mas123

That's it. The heavier cabling has the two normal prongs and a round thrid prong that grounds it. You should always use this unless you absolutely can't. This should solve the electrical problem.

I think I know what you're talking about. When I got mine new and ran my fingers over it, I felt a kind of vibration. I didn't think it was electricity, but something to do with the fine texture of the aluminum casing. Does it feel that way when you have it unplugged or turned off?

Regardless, no matter what plug you're using, there shouldn't be any electricity running through your casing! That's just crazy. Take the thing into a store for servicing. There shouldn't be anything attached to the casing to do that. The only reason I can think the case would have a current running through it is if there's an exposed wire inside touching it.

There was some one on another forum that had the exact same problem. Using the grounded cable cleared it up. What happens it the two prong plug is not properly grounded and since the mbp's case is metal, it causes some electricity to transfer through it.

I'm going to try it myself. I worked as an electrician for about months and got shocked/electricuted enough times doing that, that I don't really worry about putting myself in that situation again.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just a quick update.

Somthing really weird happened. I tried the three pronged cable and the issue was resolved, then I went back to using the 2 prong and it was still the same no electricty!

Thats weird.

Thanks,

mas123

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo
village idiot was correct because i had the exact same "vibration" on my Mac Book Pro and I was using the two prong which was really stupid. When I switched to the three prong the other day it stopped vibrating completely and now their is no electrical charge or small vibrations of the casing.

-thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I still say there's something terribly wrong if any electricity is running through the case.

The only way a current can be going through the case is if something is passing current to it. Unless something in the computer needs to be "grounded" the way your car is ground by connecting a wire to the body of the car, there's shouldn't be anything touching the case that allows a current to pass through.

I'm not an electrician, but I can only imagine there are situations where this could have bad bad results for someone who doesn't know a current is running through their computer's case.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have ran into this on hundreds of pieces of electronic equipment. If it's grounded like was already pointed out, you will not feel it. It's a very small current and in this case voltage and will in no way hurt you. I always prefer to ground computer equipment when I can. Safer overall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I personally still have the problem even with the 3 prong, never thought any of it.... it actually stops if you lift your feet of the floor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I still say there's something terribly wrong if any electricity is running through the case.

The only way a current can be going through the case is if something is passing current to it. Unless something in the computer needs to be "grounded" the way your car is ground by connecting a wire to the body of the car, there's shouldn't be anything touching the case that allows a current to pass through.

I'm not an electrician, but I can only imagine there are situations where this could have bad bad results for someone who doesn't know a current is running through their computer's case.

most electronics have plastic cases. Just about every laptop out there does.

edit: I was actually electorcuted back in high school. I was playing guitar with a firend who was playing bass. He handed me his base and it electrocuted me because the school's amp was not grounded and only had a two prong cord. Come to thing about it, I should have sued them and had a million dollars.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video
I personally still have the problem even with the 3 prong, never thought any of it.... it actually stops if you lift your feet of the floor.

Same here, although its kind of a rare occurance, I havent tried lifting my feet though lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.