Combining folders

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 Indigo :)
Hi! Okay, I'm not really new to Mac (i've been a switcher for about 2 years) but this is something i've always wondered:

in Windows when you drop a folder to another folder that contains a folder with the original folder's name (haha sounds confusing), that combines the files in both folders and replaces files in old folder with the same name with the new files.

in Mac if you do as above, it replaces the old folder with the new folder (meaning all the old folder's contents are deleted)

is there anything to work around this? :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

i....

may.....

you....

what???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
lol. He did say that in a confusing way. What he's asking is this:

Folder "My Pictures" has a folder in it called "Birthday Party". I copy files to another folder, located somewhere else on the hard drive, called "Birthday Party" as well. In Windows, when you drag the 'other' Birthday Party folder into the "My Pictures" folder, Windows would warn you that it already exists and ask if you want to merge the two folders (i.e. nothing is lost).

What he wants to know is if that can be turned on in OS X (I'm assuming OS X)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
It wasn't confusing at all... And certainly not nearly as confusing as smurfy's post/thread HERE

I do not however have an answer for the OP, besides just renaming the folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.