Will this RAM work?

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm interested in installing a gig of RAM in my iMac, it's one of the intel based models. The dimm slots are on the bottom of the unit/monitor.

The specifics it needs are the 200 pin DDR2 PC2-5300 cards. I'm looking at this particular item on new egg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16888161006

My question is: the item is sold as "apple notebook" RAM, and though it meets the requirments for my mac's memory, I was wondering if there was any difference and if it's somehow not compatible because RAM labled "mac desktop" runs about $150 for a gig, whereas this laptop ram is $55. This price difference raises my eyebrow.

Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You said you're interested in installing a gig of RAM. So I'm assuming you just want to add 512MB to complement your already existing 512MB stick?

If that's the case, then even the $55 is high. Check out some of these prices (and they will all work with your iMac):

PNY 512MB

Kingston 512MB

Transcend JetRam 512MB

If you're willing to spend a bit more, you can bump yourself up to 2GB:

G.SKILL 2GB

OP
B
Reaction score
No actually I have one gig stick already installed, I want to compliment that w/ one more gig stick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I would check out www.crucial.com the prices have been dropping lately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's a 1GB stick, then why did you link to a 512MB stick?

I know, it was probably a mistake. I'm just yanking yer tail :p

Newegg has some amazing prices for 1GB sticks as well. Here's an amazing little stick that will do just what you're looking for, and at a great price too

G.SKILL 1GB

OP
B
Reaction score
Wait what woah!! <wipes sweat from forehead> $40???
so wait, to recap before I buy up this bad boy:

that link you sent is notebook ram, I have a desktop 24" iMac core 2 duo intel macintosh. You can view it here:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...mm=browse&mco=CFF34D5F&node=home/desktop/imac

My mac takes DDR2 SDRAM, the stick that's in it is 667 MHZ.
Apple.com lists the ram requirements as : * PC2-5300
* unbuffered
* nonparity
* 200-pin
* 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

ok, so, I'm not questioning you, it's just that I have a bad bad habit of buying incompatible parts. Beyond a shadow of a doubt that linked stick of ram will work with my mac? Cuz if so, I am snapping it up in a heartbeat, thanks by the way for finding it.

And if there's no diff b/w the $150 sticks of 1 gig ram labeled "macintosh desktop ram" and those labeled "macintosh notebook ram", then why are they labeled differently and why is there such a HUGE price difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
because of the iMac's compact (& sexy) design they use notebook-class memory.

I have just checked crucial for you who aren't that much dearer: Crucial Memory for iMac

Cheers

Chris :Smirk:

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks alot Chris. I went ahead and bought the newegg.com ram that Kash linked me to. It was a few lower $ than crucial.com and had free shipping.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MrChris beat me to it. Yes Bob, the memory I linked to will work perfectly in your iMac because as MrChris said, the iMacs use notebook parts to have such a small form factor.

Nothing beats getting a great deal, eh? :D

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks guys, went ahead and ordered the ram.

I appreciate the help alot and hope I wasn't too much trouble.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.