Out of the box iBook.

O

Orange

Question... With no other software included can the iBook do things like, word proc, excel, email, watch dvds, listen to music, surf the web, and if you can to this list of what it can do out of the box with now other software, that would be helpful...

thanks,
orange

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Orange said:
Question... With no other software included can the iBook do things like, word proc, excel, email, watch dvds, listen to music, surf the web, and if you can to this list of what it can do out of the box with now other software, that would be helpful...

thanks,
orange

Yes, with the software included with an iBook, you can do word processing, create spreadsheets, databases, presentations, etc., and do all of the other things you mentioned. AppleWorks, which is the productivity suite included with the iBook, is more or less compatible with both M$ Word and Excel files as well. Besides upgrading to Panther a while back, I haven't had to purchase any additional software since I switched to Macintosh this past summer.

I just noticed that it sounds like you wanted a list of other things it can do. I'll give it a shot:

* AppleWorks - (word processing, spreadsheets, databases, drawing/painting, presentations)

* iTunes - Listen to music, buy music, rip music from CD's, and burn CD's.

* Mail - Well, it's an email program, so it's used for email.

* Safari - Web browsing

* iLife - Create music, sort and edit digital photos, edit videos, etc.

* Quicken - Keep track of your financial information

* iChat - Again, it's well, a chat program (compatible with AIM)

* World Book Encyclopedia - a very nice encyclopedia

* iCal - a calendar and syncing program

There's probably some things that I missed, but I think you get the idea.

:)

OP
O

Orange

Padawan said:
Yes, with the software included with an iBook, you can do word processing, create spreadsheets, databases, presentations, etc., and do all of the other things you mentioned. AppleWorks, which is the productivity suite included with the iBook, is more or less compatible with both M$ Word and Excel files as well. Besides upgrading to Panther a while back, I haven't had to purchase any additional software since I switched to Macintosh this past summer.

I just noticed that it sounds like you wanted a list of other things it can do. I'll give it a shot:

* AppleWorks - (word processing, spreadsheets, databases, drawing/painting, presentations)

* iTunes - Listen to music, buy music, rip music from CD's, and burn CD's.

* Mail - Well, it's an email program, so it's used for email.

* Safari - Web browsing

* iLife - Create music, sort and edit digital photos, edit videos, etc.

* Quicken - Keep track of your financial information

* iChat - Again, it's well, a chat program (compatible with AIM)

* World Book Encyclopedia - a very nice encyclopedia

* iCal - a calendar and syncing program

There's probably some things that I missed, but I think you get the idea.

:)

I can also watch dvds using idvd right? Does the mail program sync with a MS Exchange server? like Outlook?

OP
C

Chamorro

Orange said:
I can also watch dvds using idvd right? Does the mail program sync with a MS Exchange server? like Outlook?

You can use DVD Player to watch, that comes w/ every Mac. I can't answer about the MS Exchange server, but I know that Mail works w/ pop3, imap, and (with shareware) httpmail addresses.

OP
O

Orange

I know the just update the ibook... when do you think they'll update again?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Most of the product line Apple has, has been updated. The next items, to receive an update I believe will be the PowerMac and the iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Orange said:
I know the just update the ibook... when do you think they'll update again?
Well since it was just updated, the iBook line will not receive an update for some time. Anyway, why sit around and wait for another "update" in the line, if you want it/need it now then just get it now.

OP
O

Orange

thats the thing... I dont really need it right now, i just want it right now... and since my student discount doesnt run out until sept 2004 I can wait until then.... but if the update happens after sept 2004 then I might as well buy the ibook now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Well they just updated less than a month ago and apple's updates are usually 6-7 months so that would be around October November for the next update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
iBook now is pretty good seeing as the latest updates and OS X 10.3.3 is a total champ :) :D

OP
O

Orange

i might just break down and buy one this weekend... my friend is buying my dell laptop for 750... so I guess I can get the ibook for under 1100 with airport after edu discount

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Orange said:
thats the thing... I dont really need it right now, i just want it right now... and since my student discount doesnt run out until sept 2004 I can wait until then.... but if the update happens after sept 2004 then I might as well buy the ibook now.

The thing is, there will always be some sort of update or revision up ahead, it's just a matter of how many months. Does it really matter if it's 3 months or 6 months, etc? The only real difference is how long you're willing to be without a Mac. ;) I noticed your last post stating that you'll probably get one this weekend. I think that's a great idea. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I really believe that Mac OS X as it is now is way better at being already up to date than either Linux or xpee.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
I'm not entirely certain, but I remember hearing once that you'd need Entourage (the mac version of outlook) or Outlook Express to sync with an Exchange server. You may be able to find a 3rd party app that will let Mail do it for you.

OP
P

pcjabber

muso said:
I'm not entirely certain, but I remember hearing once that you'd need Entourage (the mac version of outlook) or Outlook Express to sync with an Exchange server. You may be able to find a 3rd party app that will let Mail do it for you.
Was reading Mac OS X: The Missing Manual, Panther Edition and it said that you could use Mail.app with Exchange servers (in Panther).

--PCjabber

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.