tidyness can kill

G

gkiely72

My oh my this is a good one to try !

I found an applications folder in my home folder that i never put there.it had nothing in it .

My applications folder that i use in where it should be , in my mac hd along with my library and system x folder

I decided to copy my applicatons folder to the empty one that was in my home folder, to make it easier for file browsing from applications .

The process of copying was taking too long (impatient) so i clicked (stop)

this resulted in my applications folder
about 35 applications being completly wiped out ,except for itunes which was running at the time.

no i didnt accidently trash them.
My friend ,a mac engineer has checked out my mac doing some very scary stuff and verified that those applications are not lurking around in the dark recesses but they have magicaly vanished.

has this happened to anybody else?
and is this a fault that is localised to my mac or is it a known flaw.

THANK GOD FOR FIREWIRE.

2 hours later and all is well

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The problem you described is not a flaw. This because of the Unix under pinnings. I am assuming that you are using only 1 partition. When you dragged the contents of one folder to another, you were doing the following. Move the applications from one directory to another. When you aborted the move process, that is where thing go awry. The move process does not do a copy and delete. It moves the data.

OP
G

gkiely72

thank you . sorry i didnt reply earlier but
i was away for a while.
This is a bit poor ,if i abort a data move (.and the option is available), i can potentially loose the data that i was moving. so it may be a good idea if the stop option were not available.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.