Finder Toolbar-Automator workflow, help?

Reaction score
I want to customise my finder toolbar and add an icon/button that will run an Automator workflow that I already have in a contextual menu (re-naming files). I have the button on the toolbar but it just opens the menu and I still have to go select and run the workflow. Does anyone know how I can get it to run with just one click/step? Is that possible?

Reaction score
You probably saved the Automator script as a workflow. There's a drop-down menu on the completed workflow that offers the choice of Workflow or Application. The default is Workflow.

Open it again, change it to Application, then Save As. . . again. It probably won't overwrite the other one even if it has the same name, so once you check that the new one works, trash the old one to prevent mix-ups.

Once it's saved as an Application, you can still change it. Start the Automator app and go to Open in the File menu, then navigate to it.

OP
S
Reaction score
I have that working and it opens the automator window and then I can run the workflow from there. I was wondering if it is possible to skip that step and have it just run as soon as I click on the button on the toolbar? So it is just one click...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
1) Save the workflow as an APPLICATION.
File > Save As
File Format: Application
Save to: /Users/YOU/Applications/NAME_IT

2) In Finder, drag your new app to the toolbar. Hold it there for a second, items will move over to make room.
Likewise, you can add the app to the sidebar.

I use automator apps to mount servers and automatically navigate to special directories. Very good stuff.

Picture 1.png

Picture 3.png

Picture 4.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.