24" Dead Pixels ? 4 folks - New Member, Hello Everyone :)

MrC

Reaction score
First of all, let me say, Hello to everyone!!!, I am a new member here and have been reading this site for a few days. This is a great Mac site and very very informative. After getting my wife, her 15" MBP, I as well took the plunge and got myself the 17" MBP, GO MAC OS X!!!!!!! I fell in love with the iMac 24" and got that a bit later. The great happiness of opening up a new Apple Box :D . Anyways, open it, set it up and bam theres 2 pixels in separate areas, that are DOA. Since I finicky, I noticed it, but after using it for a few days, it doesn't really bother me that much. And with my luck, if I took it too the Genius bar, they might not even swap it out, but I spoke with the the manager and she said that if the folks at the Genius bar said it was ok, more than likely they would swap it out, I also called another store and they said that usually Apple's dead pixel rate is 5 % and that is allowable, but since its a new unit and its recent they would go ahead and swap it out.

Here's my dilema, knowing the kind of luck that I have, well if it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any, really that the story of my life. I have all of the software installed and the last thing that I want to do is uninstall everything, Aperure, CS 3 etc, many apps already on the iMac. I might run the risk of getting another 24" but with even more dead pxiels, what do you guys think?

Also, I don't have a mouse pad, why would my mighty mouse cursor, move to the corner by itself when moving it at times, or move randomly away from where I moving it around to?

FYI, bought it last Tuesday and its 14 days policy, so i still have time to take care of this, so if anyone wants to chime in and give me there input, it would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance ;D
Mr. C

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Not exactly sure what you're asking. Do you want advice as to whether you should exchange your recently purchased iMac since it has some dead pixels? If so, then I would say yes, go and get it replaced if the store manager is offering to do so. Just be sure to run OS X setup to return the machine to a fresh install prior to returning it.

Apple tends to have some good quality control, so you probably shouldn't expect any dead pixels on your replacement. Plus, like you said, if it's only 2 pixels, you get used to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Are they dead or stuck?

Dead ones are black and don't illuminate. Stuck pixels stay on all the time.

Given you can't swap out an iMac display it's worth getting on that doesn't bother you. I had an iMac 24 where the screen bothered me, so I returned it for a refund.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
As for the mouse thing, I have a similar dilemma. I don't know how to fix it. I haven't really dove into photoshop yet so it really hasn't been a problem. Once I do, I will swtich to a different mouse or something or start using a pad. I don't know if either will help but I can start eliminating ideas as to why it's so jumpy. It has slowed down some so maybe it will fix itself.
Bryan

Reaction score
If and when the time comes to sell the laptop, the pixel problem would make a difference to the sale price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
As for the mouse thing, I have a similar dilemma. I don't know how to fix it. I haven't really dove into photoshop yet so it really hasn't been a problem. Once I do, I will swtich to a different mouse or something or start using a pad. I don't know if either will help but I can start eliminating ideas as to why it's so jumpy. It has slowed down some so maybe it will fix itself.
Bryan

Use a decent mouse mat designed for optical mice. The wired mighty mouse is known for being poor at tracking.

Apple Macs pretty dire mice. Wireless mighty mouse is too heavy and after minutes of use I get aches in my hand and go back to the Logitech RF mouse I have (which I don't think I will ever replace now). Also the mouse acceleration curve is fiddly in Mac OS. Only by using USB overdrive have I tuned it similar to Windows and Linux.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.