Which one to choose?

P

Pij

Hi all,

ive decided to delve into Mac's ive always used windows/linux, but feel like something different. :)

I was intending to buy a Imac G4 1.25 + 20" Screen. All i want to do is run Photoshop for creating the odd bit of web images/icons. Typical things like itunes, email/web browser, and maybe the odd linux app (which worked on a 800 duron) and maybe that windows program emulator to try Delphi/sql (if there isnt mac versions. probably leave delphi to the PC though.

Is a G4 1.25ghz going to be enough for doing that (ill add more memory) or should i save and put the extra to a G5 (extra £1k with screen :eek: )

ta
Jon

OP
C

Chamorro

Pij said:
Is a G4 1.25ghz going to be enough for doing that (ill add more memory) or should i save and put the extra to a G5 (extra £1k with screen :eek: )
Jon

The iMac should be more than adequate. Just remember the G5 has more expandability and future expansion options.

OP
N

nicholas

I would suggest the G5. Granted, money may be an issue. But whenever people say a computer will be "good enough" for this or "just fine" for that, just remember, sometimes even on the smallest things, such as word processing or emailing at the same time, to have a faster computer means absolutely no lag time. That goes for applications loading, files opening, audio streaming, videos rendering, photo manipulation and effects (you even said you'd be using photoshop), and you'd have your bases covered for the occassional game, should you decide to play one. Which can sometimes make computer a whole heck of a lot easier and more enjoyable.

To put it in a nutshell, get the best computer you can afford, and not what you "think" will be all you'll need it for, cause you'll end up getting an underpowered computer and kick yourself in the butt later asking yourself why.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Chamorro said:
The iMac should be more than adequate. Just remember the G5 has more expandability and future expansion options.
I tend to agree with this post, and add that an iMac will do all that just fine as long as it has good amount of RAM :)

OP
D

dragonhost2000

How much money do you have?

The biggest question for you is how much money are you willing to spend on a new computer?

If you can't afford much goot for the eMac, they do pretty much the same as a iMac G4, a bit cheaper and the only difference is the screen size.

If your cost is average, go for the Power Mac G4 and get any normal 20" screen

If you have lots of money then definately go for the Power Mac G5. It's simply powerful and better. You'll notice the difference when you run 3D games on it. Very smooth.

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
You might want to wait until the iMacs are updated, they should be soon though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
dragonhost2000 said:
If you can't afford much goot for the eMac, they do pretty much the same as a iMac G4, a bit cheaper and the only difference is the screen size.

I'd go for the eMac too (and someday when I save up a bit, I will). They were just updated, and you can get one with the Superdrive and max out the RAM for a very good price.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
If you really need Linux apps and PC emulation then stay away from the G5 for now, many essential low level libraries won't compile properly on the G5 just yet and the PC emulators out there are all incompatable with the G5. Maybe in a few months the situation will change but if they are your essential requirements then my advice would be to either go for a twin G4 PowerMac (which are pretty cheap now) or get the iMac.

Personally I have a 17" iMac 1Ghz and am quite pleased with it, my twin G5 really rocks on heavy usage like video/audio work (GarageBand/iMovie/iDVD is a superb combo on the G5 btw) and games but for everything else (especially Linux related) the G4 is perfectly adequate.

In fact I'm typing this on the iMac.

Oh and of course the iMac is a real head turner, everyone who enters my house is amazed by it (it sits in the middle of my living room, the G5 is tucked away in my bedroom away from my pets/children).

At first I was worried about it's robustness especially the swan neck display stand but it has survived over a year of pretty hard use by all the family (it is my 7 year olds main computer) and apart from being filthy (I wish you could buy them in different colours) it is still working perfectly.

One last tip ust in case you get an iMac, don't put a cup of tea or coffee in front of the drive door! (the keyboard is hellishly difficult to clean and I can't work out how to get it apart)

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.