Installed new 2GB RAM SoDIMM...

Reaction score
So I just installed my new Patriot 2GB PC2-5300 SODIMM memory chip into my MBP Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz and feel like the extra 2GB has just barely sped up my laptop, if any. That means that I have 3GB of total RAM and it still feels the same as 1GB RAM. Is there something wrong? I went to the "About this Mac" window and it showed 3GB of RAM. Something is either wrong, or I have been badly mislead to think the upgrade would be significant. Is there anyway to put my MacBook to the test to see exactly how much faster my laptop is now? Any input would be much appreciated! THanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The extra RAM won't help with speed unless you were completely taxing the ram that you already had. You will notice speed increases when you are trying to multitask and use programs that are more ram intensive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You will never see performance increases when using the computer for casual stuff like surfing the web or listening to music. It's when you are using programs that tax your hardware that you'll see a difference.

So like trpnmonkey said, if you weren't using the 1GB to the fullest before the upgrade, you most likely won't notice any boost in performance after the upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.