Does buying aftermarket ram void my applecare

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2ghz macbook pro
I'm looking to buy a macbook pro along with applecare. I want the basic one. My question is do i have to buy the ultra expensive ram from apple, that is around $175 or can i keep my warrenty on my macbook and just buy the ram from someone else such as newegg?

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, paintballswimgu.

Adding RAM is in what Apple calls User Installable Parts. In every Mac you buy, there is a section in the User Manual that shows you how to install RAM in your computer and what type of RAM is needed. At least, that what I've always seen in every iMac I have bought so far.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2ghz macbook pro
So it is ok for my to buy aftermarket ram, and it will not void my warrenty?

M

MacHeadCase

No it won't. If it's in your user manual, I don't think Apple would encourage you to damage your Mac. ;)

Just make doubly sure you get the right kind of RAM and that you insert it correctly and all should be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
Yes, it is ok, and you can even do it by yourself!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP 2.33Ghz, 3GB RAM, FinalCutStudio2
Hey another person with paintball in their name! LOL

Welcome!

And it would be weird if you couldn't install your own ram. Or if apple wouldn't let you.

Josh

Reaction score
Be sure to keep the old RAM

You can install your own RAM, but if you ever have issues they will want you to replace it with the original RAM to test if the 3rd party RAM is the issue. And if you have to send for repair you'll want the original RAM as well.

i.e. Be sure to keep the original RAM

MacMike
Somewhere in Florida

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.