Powerbook G4 Not starting up...

Reaction score
My powerbook G4 was running fine and the internet connection dropped. So I restarted and now it wont boot up.

It comes to a blue screen and it says "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button." This text is in 4 languages and in a black box with the power button symbol behind it.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I'm posting this from my PC......

M

MacHeadCase

You are experiencing a kernel panic. It could be bad RAM. Have you added some lately?

M

MacHeadCase

Is it soldered to the logic board? If not try to get it checked somewhere to see if the RAM is still good.

I'm thinking the internet connection dropped because the PB was starting to get ill.

Maybe you could try for now Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU) and Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM. See if that fixes anything.

Also, some PowerBook G4s were subject to a recalls:

About the PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.67/1.5GHz) Memory Slot Repair Extension Program

15-inch PowerBook G4 Display Repair Extension Program Frequently Asked Questions

Battery Exchange Program iBook G4 and PowerBook G4

Try to see if your serial number shows up in any of those recall lists.

Good luck! Let us know what you come up with. :)

OP
S
Reaction score
I dont fall into any of those recall categories. I got the mac booted up using the OS cd. Seems to be intermittent now. Anything I should look for in the panic log? I tried running the system hardware test and came up with nothing..

I tried the PMU and PRAM and NVRAM.

M

MacHeadCase

Did you run Apple's Disk Utility off of the CD and asked it to check out the hard drive?

Crash logs are a doozy to wrap your head around.

Maybe you could find some info here: CrashReporter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.