Interesting Memory Upgrade Experience

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
So a few days ago, I purchased some RAM, 2 1 GB sticks (Apple brand) for $100 even from latinpride613 (great experience, highly reccomend!) and they arrived today via EXPRESS mail =)

I eagerly flipped over my mac, unplugged it, and opened it up to remove my factory memory. However I discovered I had 2 512 mb hynix sticks, without any apple sticker (my new sticks have apple memory sticker things on them, and a samsung sticker).

I bought my macbook as a refurb directly from apple, is it possible they left it someone's upgrade from 512 to a 3rd party 1GB? Or is this brand just another one that apple uses?

Also, what are some nifty things I can try with my recently installed 2GBs? =)

PS You really gotta push on them things to get em in!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You should try and open as many programs as possible. If you've got Parallels installed, run that too. Then enjoy the seamless switching between all of them (helps if you have something like VirtueDesktops installed) :D

As for your memory, it's possible that the person originally had 2x256MB modules and upgraded to 2x512MB and left them in. Though I'm guessing it's just another brand Apple uses as the original sticks from my Macbook don't have the Apple symbol (they actually have an M with a swirl around it)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2Ghz, 2GB ram, 500 gb HD
I recently put in two 1 gig sticks of the G Skill ram in my macbook! I found the same type of ram, the Hynix brand, when i took out the old 2 512s!

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Just hynix or samsung as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I've only seen Hynix brand in Intel Macs. Maybe the previous user installed the Samsung themselves.
Either way, more stuff to sell on eBay to recoup some money.
As for maxing out your RAM, I love to mess around with the setting on the iTunes visualizer. Bump it up the max at full screen and turn on the FPS counter and turn off the limiter. Watch those frames FLY!
I would think the fastest way to clog a lot of RAM is to do some full screen video action while keeping some other apps open.
Bryan

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Did anyone ever purchase the ram upgrade from apple? I got the ram upgrade from latinpride613 along with a recipt from apple, the memory module box from apple, and apple stickers on the ram itself. However this memory is samsung. Did this memory not come from apple? Or is samsung their choice for upgrades and hynix for standard? According to this its samsung, can anyone confirm?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.